Author Topic: What to do with my celery  (Read 3246 times)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
What to do with my celery
« on: October 04, 2008, 18:32:25 »
Hi. I have loads of celery but it's a little stringy to eat on its own .. not much heart either. Does anyone have a nice recipe for celery soup? Looking forward to hearing something delicious. Thanks TEYman

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: What to do with my celery
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:30:34 »
I made mixed vegetables with my celery 3 years ago.

1. Dig up failed celery.

2. Put on compost heap.

3. Dig resultant compost into the soil and grow easier vegetables.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:20:31 »
I keep telling people that no one gets celery to grow properly on an allotment but they keep trying.

Stringy celery still stays stringy even when cooked you have to put it though a sieve or blitz it in a food processor, stick blender or liquidiser.

The basic recipe is simple enough though.

Cover the washed celery with water and cook until tender.
Blitz it down then for every pint of mush add half a pint of milk, a teaspoon of cornflour and a stock cube. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:30:33 »
I used mine by peeling the stringy bits then froze some for stews and soups  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:53:41 »
I grew celery for the first time this year and I must say I've enjoyed what I've eaten so far. The main problem is that, compared to what you get in the shops, the plants are absolutely huge and it takes about a week to use up one plant. Luckily i only planted 10! I intend to chop some up and freeze them and give some away.

I use the celery mainly in stir fries but also in soup. one of the recipes I use is:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/celery-soup-with-blue-cheese,855,RC.html
Substantial enough for a meal.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 17:29:25 »
the leaves are super tasty too,ive been using mine when making a base for sauces/gravies
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 18:08:48 »
CELERY AND STILTON SOUP

1 head of celery, washed, trimmed and the leaves reserved
2 oz butter
2 medium sized onions, peeled and chopped
1L light vegetable or chicken stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
4oz Stilton cheese
2 large egg yolks
5fl oz thin cream

Melt the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan.  Chop the celery and add this, the celery leaves and the onions.  Cover and cook gently, stirring occasionally for ten minutes, until the the vegetables are soft, but not coloured.

Pour in the stock, and season lightly.  Bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are quite tender.

Allow the soup to cool slightly, then blend to a puree.  Press through a sieve to remove any fibres and return to a clean pan.  Reheat gently, but do not allow to boil.  (If you have a mouli legumes, this is easier than a sieve to get the fibrous stems out, but if not, follow the above instructions).

Remove and discard the cheese rind and mash the cheese to a soft paste.  Beat together the egg yolks and cream, and to obtain a smooth consistency, blend into the cheese, a little at a time.

Stir 2tbls of hot soup into the cheese and cream mixture.  Add the mixture to the pan and cook gently, stirring constantly, until the soup has thickened.  Do not allow to boil.  Adjust seasoning before serving it garnished with crisp, butter-fried croutons, or with the pale feathery leaves from the inner stalks (or both).

I have always made this soup with blue Stilton, but I'm sure it will work equally well with white.

If you allow the finished soup to boil it could curdle.  It might not look as attractive, but the taste will not be impaired. ;D ;D

Enjoy.

valmarg

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 19:53:02 »
http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Easy_Sausage_Braise_with_Cherry_Tomatoes_and_Basil.aspx
Very tasty recipe, don't usually bother with the lardons. Freezes well.

You could also dry the celery leafs for winter use in soups and stews.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 23:11:51 »
I used mine by peeling the stringy bits then froze some for stews and soups  ;D

So do I Manics, I use a veg peeler. It works a treat Tey :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:37 »
I agree with Valmarg that when making soup you should always first gently sweat celery (and other veg) in butter and/or oil before adding the liquid - it helps to break down fibre.

I store chopped celery in bags in the freezer to throw into teh roasdting pan under the joint. It caramelizes during the roasting and so adds to the flavour (and colour) when making gravy in the pan.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal