Author Topic: Orange and Elderflower jelly  (Read 1764 times)

twave

• Not So New ...
Orange and Elderflower jelly
« on: July 02, 2009, 13:47:44 »
I made this at the weekend and it is the best jelly we have ever had. Enjoy!

Juice of 4 oranges
400ml of Elderflower syrup
2 sachets of gelatin
Water

Add enough water to the orange juice and syrup to make 2 pints. Pour into a pan and heat. Spinkle the gelatin into the mixture and stir to dissolve. Put in a bowl and refrigerate overnight to set.

I don't have the Elderflower syrup recipe to hand. I will try to find it and add it later. I guess you could use any elderflower cordial recipe and add more sugar to taste.

Check your gelatin for instructions. The sachets I used were for 1 pint of liquid each.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Orange and Elderflower jelly
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 15:28:20 »
thanks for that, twave, will have a go while the elderflowers are still around  ;D
by the way, welcome to a4a  :)

twave

• Not So New ...
Re: Orange and Elderflower jelly
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 13:21:05 »
Thanks manicscousers. I've been enjoying browsing the forums for a while and thought it was about time I posted something!

I'm at work so don't have the recipe with me but it was roughly this:

3L water
8 lemons
5Kg sugar
2 carrier bags stuffed full of elder flowers

This recipe makes about 6.2 litres in total. I made it last year and it has kept well. We are just finishing off last years batch.

Peel or grate the zest from the lemons and put in a very large pan (we used a jam pot) with the sugar and water. Heat until sugar has dissolved.

Add the elder flowers and juice from the lemons. Leave over night then strain into sterilised bottles. We put it through muslin to make sure no bits go through.

It is very sweet. More of a syrup than a cordial but dilute a tiny drop with water, or with water and apple juice is really good. It also goes well with tonic water.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal