Author Topic: hot border collie  (Read 2035 times)

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
hot border collie
« on: June 20, 2005, 14:10:10 »
Has anyone out there ever clipped a long haired border collie?
Do they look strange, how will their fur grow back, will he ever forgive me? Poor old Bryn looks so hot, I'm not saying I wil, just contemplating it, whats others views.   

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: hot border collie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 18:05:48 »
Not exactly clipped mine but I have drasticly cut her long flowing 'trousers' back but really to remove really tangled hair. Border Collies don't like too much sun, true, it saps their energy but they still work to the full without relising the fatigue affect. At the end of the day they collapse somewhere cool. Don't clip her fur, for a start it won't help. Dogs don't have sweat pores and the fur he now has is as good a protection from the sun as anything man ever made. You can help by providing a shady place for him to lay down and even insisting that he does, smaller meals with less protien and always FRESH drinking water to hand. (Border Collie brains work the body, not the muscles!)

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 18:17:22 »
So why do people with dogs such as Old English Sheepdogs, have them taken right down for the summer?

I have a whippet, she has very short, fine fur - and she can't stand the heat.
 :-\
No outfit is complete - without dog hairs!!!

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 18:30:09 »
I don't think Bryn would forgive me really if he thought he looked a twit to the other collies in the park, you just feel you want to do something to help ! I think I wil give him a bath and a good brush to get rid of any lose fur, I just thought I would ask incase the response was, Yes brilliant idea best thing we ever did......
He's giving me a very straight look at the moment ......... I know he understands the word bath but I didn't  think he could read!
Katy

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 11:06:00 »
what about frozen treats - - in the garden cos they make lots of mess

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 13:57:50 »
I was thinking of bathing our two today. But even though it is very hot - that flipping wind keeps blowing cold.

I once had to trim an afghan right down. He had had a leg in plaster, and it was a mess when the cast was removed.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 17:49:55 »
take them two the park or the sea side not for a ice cream but for a swim our three love to swim and paddle
 ;D

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 18:16:53 »
It is only about six miles to the coast - but it is far too hot in the car.
We have two Ecology Parks about half a mile either side of us - but I don't think the Wardens would take too kindly to me putting the dogs in their ponds.
 ;)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 22:55:24 »
 ;D My puppy just downed three ice cubes of 50/50 water and beer and the way he was licking his lips he'd have had another three if I let him hic! 8)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 23:14:59 »
My sister's dog got drunk on best bitter when we went to Yorkshire on holiday.  We gave him a slurp in an ashtray but the kids kept filling it up without us knowing.  He got drunk and did a zigzag piddle as he was walking along the street as he didn't have the balance to co ck hi leg.  Later when we stopped to cross the road he lent against a lamp post and slid down.  It took him 24 hours to sleep it off.  Poor doggie - teetotal since.
Get with the beat Baggy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal