Author Topic: hi all new lottie holder  (Read 2202 times)

AppleCrumble

• Not So New ...
hi all new lottie holder
« on: July 23, 2005, 01:01:07 »
hi all just though i would introduce my self as i have only just joined  ;D
only just found you today but i must say its a brilliant site idea ;D
well I'm very existed i have just secured my first ever allotment it's only a small site with maybe 15/20 plots haven't even seen which plot is mine yet have got to meet the council there Monday morning only 2 plots left ;D
she said its a bit over grown :o but its free rent till April :)
i have been doing plenty of reading on the net and form the library
so i will be letting you know how i get on plus asking for advice oh once every 24 hours ;D
what i want to grow
carrots
potatoes
Swedes
beetroot
onions/shallots/leeks
gooseberries
rhubarb
strawberry's
some flowers here and there for Good measure
also want to grow organic
i live in the manchester area so if any body knows of any varieties
that are particularly good for my area i would be most greatfull if you could give me a shout
thanks very much :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: hi all new lottie holder
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 08:41:04 »
Apple Crumble. Big welcome to the forums. You will enjoy yourself here only thing is that it is  addictive. I don't have an allotment only my garden/ only grow runner beans, toms cucumbers but going to grow more veg next year..Such a good crowd here, you can ask what you like and there will be someone who can give you an answer. Very handy for a novice like me..We can read a good menu here. Advice, brilliant pics, funny stories, sad stories,  and just chit chat. Lorna.

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 09:21:01 »
West Yorkshire and my varieties are

*Beetroot: Early wonder, Burpee's Golden, Chioggia
(successional sowings March-August)

Carrots: Fly Away
(sow February-March)

*Leeks: Musselburgh, Atlanta, Swiss Giant Zermatt
(sow March-April)

*Onion sets: Bianco, Electric, Swift
(plant October) 

*Swede: Joan
(sow April-June)

Gooseberries: Pax (Less thorny red dessert)

*Available for swaps. I would like some flower seeds for next year.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 10:48:21 »
welcome apple crumble  - hmmm ;D

first allotment year and getting the hang of it - slowly :)
rent free til april - well at least you have lots of time to prepare for next year AND just in time to get the plot cleared and plant some winter stuff :)

a book i can recommend is joy larkcom's grow your own vegetables
organic approach to gardening, plus descriptions of just about every veg type, and other useful tips and tricks. well worth it. :)

have fun on the lottie and here
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 10:58:26 »
I bought that very book for my bro's new allotment as it was his birthday yesterday.  He says it's packed with info  :)
If you're rent free til April I bet it's VERY overgrown.  Aren't they all?  ;D
I think getting an allotment is life changing cos you start doing things you've never done before and see things in a different light like not being able to walk past a skip without delving in  ;D  I received my Next catalogue this morning.  Undid the cardboard box it came in.  Put in in the sink to soak and then put it in the compost bin.  I've not looked at the catalogue  ;D   My husband keeps bringing stuff home which he thinks might come in useful.  He brought home yesterday the wooden handles off an old canvas stretcher.  I'm going to lash them together and make a climbing frame for my squashes  ;D
Enjoy your plot and don't let it become a chore  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

AppleCrumble

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 21:23:32 »
thanks for the kind words all i will post some pictures of the plot soon

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 12:42:10 »
Welcome AppleCrumble  :)
I agree with wardy, getting an allotment is life changing and certainly for the better.  I had forgotten till this year how wonderful it is to pick your own produce.
Look forward to the pictures.
MM

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 15:22:14 »
Definitely agree with that. I have only been gardening since last October, and I have never been happier. Have been travelling round the world 3 times, seen some amazing things, but, nothing has ever made me as happy as harvesting my first vegetables, or watching my first flower that I grew from seed open!
Would also recommend Joy Larkcom's book. Is a very convenient size (unlike most "coffee table" gardening books) as well as being packed full of good advice.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 19:10:50 »
I think your meals are so much more enjoyable when you've grown all the stuff yourself   :)   

redcow

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 11:39:34 »
Hi there Apple Crumble

I am in the same boat as you....

As I have a small garden I decided to take on an allotment which I got yesterday...... It is cover with carpet and sheets and has been for the last 12 months. It is on a south facing slope which is not too steep. I think this week I will pull the sheets back, pull out all the dead weeds, cover with muck & rotivate.
I cant wait to get started.
Think I will also go out & buy 'grow your own veg' by Joy Larkcom, Hope there will be plenty of advice ect... when I get to know a few people.

Will keep you posted.....

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 11:44:32 »
i think the real recipe is that preapration get it all good ready dug and fed with manure and let the winter do its work

will give you plenty of time to sort that puzzle of which what and where to plant

enjoy

carl

tee hee i edited this just as red cow wrote hers, Rotavating is ok but i know by mine the bits that rotavated last yr where not as good rotavated this yr as the bits what i had dug and rotavate there wasnt a lot of life in it if you know what i mean

bit of hard work now pays later i believe
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 11:47:44 by carloso »
another member of i forgot my password

AppleCrumble

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 21:40:23 »
[/img][img][/img]
thanks all for the words of encouragement well i have got my plot, No 5  ;D
there's only 9 plots on the site each with 250 sq meters i have been left an 8x6 greenhouse(has a vine with grapes) wich is only 18 months old  8)but it needs 13 new panes i have seen some in the loot the right size for 50p each but is a bit to far maybe 50 mins away.
But i should see some more soon, have got plenty of other things to be getitng on with in the mean time :)
the grass has resantly been cut by the council but theres a mound of soil not to big in the middle of plot, i am going to cover 3/4 of the plot with some old carpet i have managed to get of my neighbor
have been down the lottie last 2 evenings cleaning greenhouse and clearing the plot  hopfully there will be 2 pictures as i have been working out how to do it for last hour ;D

AppleCrumble

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 22:23:21 »
 :o :ocant belive i got them up fist go :othe pics where when i first seen it it looking a bit better now

forgot to say thanks for the advice on joy larkcom;s grow your ouwn veg i have ordered 1 fron wh smiths £6:09 pic up from store ;) also bought the allotment hand book by caroline foley yesterday to keep me going
will keep u updated on how its going down the lottie 8)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 09:03:43 »
Hello Apple Crumble, welcome to the forum. Your plot looks in pretty good order. Great that you have a greenhouse and a compost enclosure already. Thats a great idea about the carpet, that way you will be able to tackle the plot a little at a time.  :)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 11:09:49 »
Hello Apple Crumble  :)  I hope it's going well on Plot Number 5?  You must like this lottying lark

Did someone mention digging?  I hate that word so I'm off  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal