Author Topic: PC-cillin?  (Read 2360 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
PC-cillin?
« on: June 29, 2005, 17:40:37 »
Anyone got this set-up and know why I keep getting this message "PC-cillin Server Response Timed Out" ? and the auto updates have stopped too? :(

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: PC-cillin?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 17:50:54 »
Are you due to pay your subscription?

Usually plenty of freeware or free 'personal' editions out there that can replace commercial subscription versions.  Try www.download.com
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 20:33:21 »
Thanks for that RC ;) although I'm still a little confused as my Windows Security Centre is telling me that
"PC-cillin Reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on" ???
Is "Windows Security Centre" an Ant-virus program and is it any good? I have it installed but not noticed it doing very much ???

I have tried Norton and it let me down a few times >:( I don't like this feeling of being unprotected with all these germs going about :o ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 20:39:11 »
Is PC-Cillin an anti-viral product  :o.  I have heard of it but I have all the utilities I need so have never looked further.  Is your firewall blocking it?

Windows Security Centre is just an program that keeps an eye on all compatible security programs which can to a certain extent by run from there.  I find it a pain sometimes - it does not like some of the freebies I use so have on occasion turned it off.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 23:31:37 »
Have you tried connecting to the PC-cillin site and checking for updates?.  The programme on your computer will not know it is not up to date if updates are not getting through.

I had the same problem with McAfee which suddenly stopped receiving automatic updates. The programme tells me that it updates itself automatically, but periodically I get a message stating that it hasn`t been able to connect to the internet even though my broadband connection is on every day. When I connect to McAfee to check I invariably find updates waiting.

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 23:25:11 »
Free anti virus software packages are AVG, Avast, AntiVIR. I use AVG and have done for years. For free spyware protection use Ad Aware SE personal, Spybot search & destroy. For free firewall use zone Alarm or Sygate or Windows SP2 built in firewall. Those are the basics you should have and keep up to date. A good place to download the latest versions is www.majorgeeks.com.

MS internet explorer is over 90% of the browser market and therefore it is the primary target for browser hijacks. Change your browser to Firefox for better internet security. It's a great browser anyway and with the plugin Ad-Block you can block elements of the page you don't like ie the advertising banners. Also there is a plugin that will give a risk rating to every site and a popularity ranking. If you click a link and it looks like your bank website but the risk is high and the ranking is low and the site is hosted in russia then that is not your bank.

Hijackthis is a great program too which you can run to create a log file. You can post the log file on the forums over at www.spywarewarrior.com and work through any spyware virus and hijack problems with expert help. Read the forum rules first before you post.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 22:31:55 »
i use avg to never had a problem been very good indeed (free too !!!)

and i also use the zone alarm fire wall aswell ! (i actually use 2 sygate been the second as one doesnt always catch all the naughty people trying to pinch my secret allotment recipes!!)

Norton i wouldnt touch with a barge pole !!! exspensive and my opinion not very good (on that note you may think different so i sdont want to get in an argument)

carl
another member of i forgot my password

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal