Author Topic: Water butts  (Read 2377 times)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Water butts
« on: August 19, 2005, 13:54:41 »
After cutting back yet more evil brambles around my half a shed, I've discovered I've got three waterbutts. Though one of them is covered over, the plot had been abandoned for at least a year, maybe two. What's the best way of getting rid of the stagnant water? Should I just let it run out over the brambly bit of the plot?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Water butts
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 13:57:59 »
Yes  ;D  Three!  Lucky you!  I'd join them together in sequence.  I'm waiting for a mate to find me another in a skip on his building site as I need more.  they're the best thing on the plot and so useful  :)  Mine is a blue barrel not a proper butt but I cut a hole in it and fitted a £3 tap from Wilko  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 14:05:22 »
I think they were joined together in sequence. Found out last night that the plot - and the one next door - was previously worked by a couple in their eighties who had them for years, which explains all the mature fruit and the odd things I keep finding in/behind the half a shed! :D
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 14:06:55 »
Ooh Wardy, the tap sounds just what we are looking for at the moment. Was it easy to fit?

Caz.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 20:25:42 »
If I remember the hardest part was dangling inside the barrel to fit half the tap onto the barrel and screw it home.  I made my husband do it as I said I was too fat to fit in it  ;D

Here is my butt.  It's off a building site. I want some more!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 20:28:55 by wardy »

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 20:41:26 »
Hi Wardy
Wish i had a shed like that well posh.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 21:56:33 »
Blimey Wardy, that is one smart shed. :o  Know what you mean about the dangling inside tho'.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 23:05:37 »
Wardy!! You have my shed!! Same colour and all .... Give it back  :o :o :o Lottie  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 23:25:19 »
I don't dangle, I put the thing on its side and crawl in. It's a lot more comfortable.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 16:30:26 »
RB  Yes my OH and I realised that after he'd dangled  ;D   

Lotty    We have the same shed!  Ours was a second hand brown one  :(  I've not finished painting it yet but it will look lovely when it's finished.  It's great inside as OH has put up shelves and even a worktop!   :)  I got a lovely two tier wooden trolley (barley twist legs) from the charity shop for a few quid which is useful especially for wheeling the cocktails round my lotty when we have guests don't you know  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 16:54:06 »
LOL! Yes it's a lovely colour!! Mine painted on outside but nothing done on inside!!  ::) Seems to be earwig hotel too....... Lottie ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 16:56:56 »
The colour is LUPINE.  It's a period colour used in conservation areas for sheds and fencing and stuff.  Looks good I think.  We have it at home on fences and stuff and it seems to suit the old brick walls etc  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 01:23:18 »
It's a colour the Victorians liked, but I can't remember what they called it.

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 01:27:36 »
Haha nice butt ;)
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 19:29:35 »
Anyone know where these blue barrels come from (or where I can get one)? Or what they used to be used for?
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal