Author Topic: Arum Lily  (Read 2753 times)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
Arum Lily
« on: September 30, 2005, 15:35:44 »
An old aunt gave me a cutting from her huge (out door) arum lily plant last year, I put it in the garden where it promptly dissappeared. I dug it up a few weeks ago to find it was still 'active' so put it in a pot and brought it in doors. Since then it is growing well after I stood the pot in a tray of water . On a trip to the garden centre I saw an arum lily beingsold as a pond plant, it was actually in the pond..Can i do that with mine? Will it be OK as a houseplant? Does it die down in the winter?

My books don't give me much info am afraid.
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
Re: Arum Lily
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 15:40:55 »
i know they like a lot of water - mine's in a pot and has looked ropey all summer but has started growing again in the last three weeks. i have seen them grown as marginals but not an expert - it might depend on how harsh your winters are.
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 08:50:20 »
I have experience with some plants which are commonly referd to as arum lilies:
Arum italicum subsp. italicum 'Marmoratum' has white veins on the leaves, is hardy, and will grow anywhere outdoors, including shade, and when established spreads.
Calla palustris is good for growing as a marginal pond plant. Zantedeschia aethiopica has showy flowers and is ok in dryish soil. I don't know of types grown as pot plants, all mine seem to do well outdoors.

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 20:06:01 »
This one doesn't have white veins on the leaves, they are huge and glossy green. My aunts plant is outside in the garden but near a pond...do they die down in the winter? Will look up those two names and se which one I've got...many thanks

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 20:15:14 »
Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Crowborough' is probably the most commonly grown arum lily & is fully hardy. Plain green leaves & white flowers. It loves moist soil & can be grown as a marginal: we have had one in our pond for several years and it looks lovely. However my Mum grows them in her pretty dry Norfolk borders. They do die down in the winter.

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 20:28:10 »
So I can just put the pot in my pond, or stand it in a tub with water in the back garden? Will keep it indoors over winter I think..thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal