Author Topic: Horseradish  (Read 1748 times)

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
Horseradish
« on: December 29, 2005, 22:06:42 »
I know this is really cheeky as I am a new allotment holder and don't have anything as such to swap at the moment (unless you want some overgrown prickly brambly things) but ...............................

I have been looking for ages to buy some horseradish plants - I love hot fresh flavours, and I really enjoy fresh grated horseradish with cream or yoghurt.  However no one seems to stock the thongs.  I have asked several times over the last couple of years, at various garden centres, and have been told that no one buys horseradish as it grows like weed (and even wild) so it isn't viable to stock the plants/roots.

Does anyone have any horseradish that they would be willing to divide and let me have a few thongs/roots (so new to this that I don't even know what time of year would be best)?  Of course I will reimburse postage and any costs, but in exchange I am very keen to purchase or provide some seeds for you in return.........just let me know what you would like.

Alternatively if anyone knows where I can buy the thongs please let me know.

Many thanks

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
Re: Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 23:31:56 »
Hi Jenny M.

Thanks for your reply, and I would really like some cuttings/roots - I will pm with my address, please let me know what you would like in return.   

many thanks

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 01:26:32 »
Ha ha ha I feel a right idiot, wrote this post out thinking jennym might be able to oblige, and then I scrplled down to see she already had ...

Ah well.

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 21:45:26 »
Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your help. 

What a friendly lot you all are!!!!

regards

ann

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 20:43:24 »
I have a new allotment too and my first job was digging up the stuff. I expect I'll be battling with  it  for years to come !!!!

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 20:54:59 »
Many thanks to JennyM - I received the horseradish this morning - I am very grateful and wish you well, a donation will be made as discussed, but if you need anything please let me know.

Our (my daughter, 10, and I) intention is to plant the horseradish in an old bath that we have found buried on the allotment.  Horseradish at one end and various mint plants at the other.   

Unfortunately I feel very fragile today - I was very fortunately granted a large (and overgrown) allotment plot on 21st December 2005, and can say that (with lots of help) the entire plot is cleared and dug over.........couldn't even pick up a bottle of wine at Tesco without wincing today,  but how good do I feel .....................................WeeeeeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeYYYYYYYY   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal