Author Topic: Taking the pee?  (Read 2803 times)

Sprout

• Acre
Taking the pee?
« on: January 21, 2006, 18:42:25 »
At last, finally found a local stables giving away free manure. 'Help yourself', she said, 'take as much as you like. It's all bagged up and by the fence. Just take as much as you want when you're passing'. She even helped me load up the car. Nice. Imagine my dissappointment, therefore, when emptying the bags at my lottie to find no poo. Not even an ounce of poo. Nada. Instead, had 10 bags of wood shavings (with a bit of straw) some of it laced with horse pee.

Don't supposed pee soaked shavings are of much use?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Taking the pee?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 19:36:09 »
They will be-think of it like leaf mould. Get what you can and stack it-might take a couple of years.

Stephan

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 20:57:43 »
You got done, Sprout. Don't put it on your ground, it's good for nowt. In fact it's detrimental (spell checker gone loopy). Use it to walk on, it's about all it's good for.
Next time, offer to bag it yourself!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 22:11:24 »
Oh dear never mind we all live and learn don't we??
Marigold

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:15:06 »
Don't give up sprout, I took on my plot in May this year with a 'free' pile of same, which my neighbours wouldn't touch cos they said it would be too acid. I spread loads where the brassicas would go (how they laughed), stuck in the seedlings ... and they are happy, happy, happy even with no lime at all. So all is Not Lost, you can stack your bags of wee-ey shavings for a year or two like cleo say, interleave in your compost heap, or grow this year's winning pumpkin. Allotmenting is always full of surprises, good thing too  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 15:33:28 by supersprout »

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 09:50:06 »
You can always lace it with your own pee too. We get ours fresh some I stack -if it's going into the ground, some I use as a mulch, especially on top of carboard in the fruit bit of the allotment. No different to bark or wood chippings -the pee makes it a little bit better. The worms take it all in in the end.

I find the bags we get very variable -some are more or less allshavings and no poo -others are the opposite; and you'll need a lot more than ten bags  :o

Jeremy

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 15:33:30 »
These must be very clean and well-kept horses.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 18:51:28 »
My daughter has 2 horses and about 40 tons of manure in every stage of composture(?) and I have been going to collect some all winter but never got around to it,as I have so much else to do on the allotment. It is also hard work for me at my age. But today I got lucky. Her washer has broken down and my grandson rang to ask me to do his washing (ha ha!) I took up 20 empty bags and if he wants his washing doing he has to fill the bags. ;D ;D ;D

Rosemary

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 19:07:59 »
Tee hee rosemary, might take a leaf ... ;D

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 12:15:32 »
Rosemary-love it-that has really made me smile ;D

Stephan

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 13:16:41 »
If it was all bedding straw and pee, no problem. It's the high quantity of wood that would put me off using it. It robs the soil of nutrients as it breaks down. Good for walking on and that's all I'd use it for.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 16:30:53 »
The pee will provide nitrogen, which will probably go a long way towards getting it rotted down. I'd pile it up, cover it, and leave it for a year myself. Or if there's too little for that, I'd shove it in a dalek till next year.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 17:38:23 »
Rose.mary. My son-in-law has been promising for weeks to bring me some more horse poo. What a good idea from you, next time a favour is wanted!!!!!!!!!! I think they want me to take my 20yr old Grand daughter for X-rays soon. Opportune moment me thinks ;D

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 18:12:10 »
Nearly all the stables in my part of Surrey use wood shavings in lieu of straw/hay.

Over last summer I collected hundreds of bags of the used stuff, but at least the horses weren't royal like yours, and had done their stuff..

I checked on A4All what to do and the best bet really is to use it as a base of a compost heap/manure pile and just forget about it for 1 - 2 years until it has weathered down and worn down.

One of the problems with all horse manures is that there may be other "things" lurking therein, even if the poo has done a runner, so you should do all you can to raise its temperature in order to kill whatever is lurking in it.

Or, .. just make paths..
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 19:23:46 »
I tend to agree with kenkew on this one, The stables near us used to dump great piles of pee soaked shavings in the adjoining field. They took about 3 - 4 years to rot down properly. On the other hand, the "good" stuff (plenty of horse muck in it) which was dumped nearer to the stables itself was great to use within a year. (I got really good at spotting the "good stuff" by the way, even if it did mean a longer trip to the allotment with it)

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 21:45:21 »
Great stuff, Took washing up this afternoon and low and behold all in a row 20(half full) bags. Son-in-law is taking them to allotment tomorrow.
Sprout, don't worry about anybody taking the P Just keep taking more. You are bound to get lucky one day, and get some 'good stuff'. Just compost the other kind it will rot down in time.

Rosemary

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 23:11:38 »
A muck-man called round one year and I bought 6 bags of manure - bout £2.50 a not overlarge bag, but, OK, I needed it. Huh! When I emptied the bags the horse had obviously been passing half house bricks - what comes of grazing on heavy clay soil, no doubt?

missdipsy

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 00:01:57 »
I'd say that would be a very nice addition to a compost heap, particularly if your heap contains a lot of "soft stuff" - it'll give it a bit of bulk & the urine acts as an accelerator to get it all breaking down properly.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal