Author Topic: No more leggy seedlings?  (Read 2487 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
No more leggy seedlings?
« on: February 05, 2006, 17:01:03 »
I've just read that reseach has indicated that gently brushing the tops of seedlings can prevent them from becoming leggy.  Apparently you only need to do it twice a day by simply flicking over the tips of the seedlings with a sheet of paper.  Has anyone tried this?  Does it work?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

fluffygrue

• Acre
Re: No more leggy seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 17:06:47 »
Hmm, dunno. I read somewhere to do that, but to induce stronger root growth. Maybe it diverts energy to growing roots rather than upwards?

(Doesn't seem to have helped my tomatoes, though!)

Melanie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 17:14:44 »
According to the article it is supposed to imitate the effect of natural air movement which helps to keep the stems sturdy.  Sturdy stems suggests healthy roots so maybe there's something in it?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 17:27:20 »
i kinda did this last year - i stroked my seed trays once or twice a day
certainly the stuff didnt grow too leggy, considering the trays were kept on window sills right above radiators (so top territory for leggy growth)

i did however pot them on sensibly and move them to cooler spots when they really started taking off - so maybe it's just wishful thinking for me.

but, they do do this in japan, commercially. it's the equivalent of hardening off, as it stimulated wind movement
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 17:31:24 »
Interesting, Svea, thanks for that.  Sounds like it's worth a go then.  I did wonder whether it was an early April fool.   ;)

G xx
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 20:05:08 by Georgie »

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 19:58:58 »
I do this every year, and a fan heater in the greenhouse helps the air movement too.

I just run my hands over the seedlings 3 or 4 times a day when ever I can.

Seems to work and you also get up close to your plants so you spot any problems early on.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 22:08:02 »
I stroke them, talk to them, shout at them, sing to them, sneeze over them, drop them, over water them, under water them and mollycoddle them, and I haven't heard them complaining yet!  ;D

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 22:12:18 »
i told my eldest last year she had to tell them what she had done  at nursery when she came home so that they would grow and bless her she did and she got big veg  ;D at picking time well happy she was so this year its sing songs to them i think if nothing else she gives everyone a laugh  ;D trying to remember the words

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 00:02:16 »
This came up in another post too, one of the tutors I had did it, and I do it now too, it doesn't do any harm.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 09:34:18 »
I think this is fascinating.  I had no idea that this treatment could have such an effect :D

Now whenever I am delayed in getting all my seedlings potted on I shall have to be extra attentive, thank you  :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 10:02:35 »
If I remember correctly, there's a bit in the HDRA Encyclopaedia of Organic Gardening which recommends this! Might have to give it a go this year, but only when the neighbours aren't looking - they already think I'm slightly cracked for having a lotty... (they're wrong, of course!).

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 10:17:13 »
Just wait till they see you talking to your plants  ;D ;D ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 10:30:43 »
The stuff I am growing in a light position at work appears ok, but slightly on the leggy side. Since I am not stroking them (yet) perhaps that is the reason. I will certainly be aware of this now, and see if I can discern any difference.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 13:42:12 »
I got some peat pellets at a nursery this year - The only thing I have planted in it is some aubergine and the plants took slightly longer to come out but they look very healthy and are not etoiled at all.   :(I am just sorry that I did not put my tomato seeds in them as well.  I transplanted my tomato seedling yesterday and they are looking long and pathetic.  Lets see how many make it - that will teach me for sowing too early. :'(

I am not sure if it is the peat pellets that have made the difference - all other conditions windowsill above radiator, foil at back of each cold propagator etc the same.  What do you think?
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 19:55:23 »
I don't think the peat will have anything to do with the plants becoming etiolated or not, as I believe it's the way the plant reacts to light, or the lack of it, that causes etiolation.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 20:10:32 »
Hi all,

I remembered these threads from last year. If you type "stroking seedlings" into the search engine they`ll come up.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal