Author Topic: Cape Gooseberries  (Read 1424 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
Cape Gooseberries
« on: February 21, 2006, 16:40:28 »
I've never grown these tho I do enjoy eating them!  This year I've bought seed and intend having a bash - have been told they are easy to grow but am not totally convinced so are they easy, are there any special tips/hints? Any help apopreciated as usual.......
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 16:45:40 »
As a complete novice, I cannot offer any qualified advice, but I was given some of the previous years fruit for seed. I just squashed the fruit, scraped out the seed, rinsed and dried them on paper and then planted in compost. After a couple of weeks (or a little longer), they have all started germinating. I have them on a warm shelf at work, so I cannot comment on whether they would germinate in cooler temperatures.

Once they have two true leaves, then I will prick them out into individual pots.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 17:10:56 »
Grew some in my greenhouse last year, quite large plants and lots of "lanterns" on them but were very late ripening and only a few made it before the frost got to them. Other people I know bring them into heated greenhouses/conservatories to finish off ripening which can be as late as Christamas! They also overwinter the plants which should bring the harvesting period earlier in the year.

Maybe if I restricted the numbers of fruit as with tomatoes they would be better. Not growing again this year due to lack of space but will no doubt try again some time.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 18:24:29 »
Very easy plants to grow - but start NOW! They need a long growing season. I start them off now, indoors, prick out into 7cm pots, then into 9cm pots, keep them in indoors at night (putting themn out on sunny days).
Then, come early April, I put them out side, hardening off gradually, into plastic covered cprotection, I guess pound shop cloches would do.  Any really cold frosts, I bring them in, but they seem to tolerate down to about 3 degrees C with protection from wind. Then at just before I put tomatoes out, say in early May, I plant them out into good moist fertile, soil about 2 ft apart. No pests or diseases noticeable, even the slugs don't seem to bother. Have grown Physalis primosa and Physalis edulis (don't know if same, but they were the names on seed packets). They got to about 3 - 4 ft tall and cropped really well. Never kept them overwinter though.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 18:27:41 by jennym »

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 18:32:30 »
I kept mine through the winter ( took them inside one of the greenhouses  on the lotties when weather cooled last autumn )picked the last fruits last week and have trimmed them down and  will put them bk outside come warmer weather they are perennials and are supposed to fruit  more prolifically in their second yr

forgot to add unheated greenhouse which hit temps on the freezing mark and slightly below
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 21:19:16 »
Tried these a couple of years ago  they grow quite big and took over a big patch on the lottie didn't get any fruit as the season wasn't long enough for them. The onees in a pot in the greenhouse did better,but took up alot of room I could have used for something else!  had afew fruits but a bit sharp.I think perhaps they needed to ripen faster to be sweet soI lost interest and give up (short attention span you see)
I'd be interested in how yours turn out
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 22:20:51 »
I had an excellent crop of Physalis peruviana treated as a HHA and grown outdoors in pots last year (in London).  They must be easy if I can grow them.  I started mine in March.  I say go for it!   ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 22:59:29 »
Thanks for the input, folks - I'll get them started off tomorrow then! If I am successful I'll certainly try overwintering them -  there I go getting ahead of myself already!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 23:16:07 »
You never know Wicker, I may join you ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal