Author Topic: heated propagator - how to use?  (Read 5680 times)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
heated propagator - how to use?
« on: February 13, 2006, 18:10:47 »
I've just bought today a mini heated propagator and was wondering how long to leave seedlings in it after they have germinated.
I was intending to just get them started and then move them out, but is this the best way to do it or do seedlings need a longer period before taking them out of the propagator?
Also on reading the instructions there doesn't seem to be a thermostat, and the instructions say to turn it off or open the vents. Is this usual or is it because I've bought a very cheap one? I'm imagining it getting hotter and hotter and cooking my seedlings  :o
It's made by Sankey and cost £16.99 so I thought I'd done quite well but I've never used one before. PLEASE HELP!!

Squashmad

• Half Acre
Re: heated propagator - how to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 18:23:38 »
Can I join in too? I bought my first heated propogator recently - mine was £10!  :-[ I have had my sweet peas in there - just till they came through  and I opened vents slightly - there was some condensation but seemed to be ok - as it doesn't get such a high temp as more expensive ones I was planning to leave vents shut when starting aubergines/chillis etc .... will be interested to hear what advice you get.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 18:35:30 »
vee - there are experts who will correct me but, to hold your hand for a moment:

1. A propagator is mainly for germination at 65-75C.
2. And if it's small, you will want to move the seedlings on so that you can start more off?
3. But things like toms like to grow on at 60C. But in full light. Certainly not less than 50C.
4. No thermostat? If it's in a place that needs heat, it will rarely get above 70C. Many struggle to achieve that. Ours cost £110 & is not the bees' knees!
5. Vents closed until germination & then open.
6. But if you only have a few seedlings, you can take the cover off & just give them 'bottom heat'.
6. Over to those who know!!

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 19:20:35 »
Thanks Tim.
I got it just to help germination.  So it's ok to take them out once germination has taken place and put more seeds in, as long as they're in a warmish place?
 I'm thinking of a sort of conveyor belt operation with this new toy ;D

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 21:06:07 »
vee - there are experts who will correct me but, to hold your hand for a moment:

1. A propagator is mainly for germination at 65-75C.
2. And if it's small, you will want to move the seedlings on so that you can start more off?
3. But things like toms like to grow on at 60C. But in full light. Certainly not less than 50C.
4. No thermostat? If it's in a place that needs heat, it will rarely get above 70C. Many struggle to achieve that. Ours cost £110 & is not the bees' knees!
5. Vents closed until germination & then open.
6. But if you only have a few seedlings, you can take the cover off & just give them 'bottom heat'.
6. Over to those who know!!

You mean Fahrenheit rather than Celsius.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 06:31:13 »
I said that the experts would come in!!

Thanks. Too much thinking about potato baking temp recently.

And while here, for toms, read peppers, aubs etc.

And I reckon that for growing on, LIGHT, in many cases, is more important than warmth.

And some things - like lettuce - don't like warmth.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal