Author Topic: Harvest  (Read 1573 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Harvest
« on: March 09, 2006, 10:21:22 »
Hi

Wasn't sure where to post this Q so thought I'd try here :-)

I have been given the job of organising a harvest supper for our allotments this year.  People will be invited to come along and bring a dish that contains stuff they've grown.
I'm wondering when the best time would be to hold such an event in terms of there being the most variety of veg etc.

Thanks

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
Re: Harvest
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 10:43:09 »
i would say late august early september weather nice (we hope ) nights long and looking in my book lots of veg around too i hope this helps

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 11:28:17 »
Thanks loulou that's great.  I'm still fairly new and disorganised so couldn't remember from previous years when I was harvesting.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 11:53:30 »
A shade later, mid September, should produce a lot wider range of produce, but it varies every year so you pays your money and takes your pick!

That sounds a nice social thing to be involved with anyway !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 12:21:32 »
Yeh! I agree mid September sounds just about right.  You should be able to get a good selection of veggies, people can use then.  What a lovely idea and what a great allotment committee to hold something like that.  That sort of event really brings people together.  Wish we belonged to a society that community minded. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 14:41:34 »
What a brilliant project sweet-pea, good luck and take lots of photos! ;) Dates that might affect your choice ... Traditional UK (Christian) Harvest Festival is the Sunday on or about the Equinox, as close to 23 September as possible. If you have Muslim lottie neighbours (we have) they will only be able to eat after sunset from 24 September. Where are you going to hold it?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 14:45:05 by supersprout »

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 15:06:03 »
It's the Low Moor allotments in York, although I think well probably have the supper itself in a local 'hall'.  I think it's the first year this has been done, I'm fairly new to the committee, but I know we're trying to encourage more community spirit.
Last year we built a French boules pitch on site, which we're encouraging people to use as a social venue.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think mid Sept might be the best option, people should have finished their summer holidays by then too.  I'm just hoping that everyone doesn't decide to use the supper as an opportunity to rid themselves of excess courgettes/marrows!

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 21:47:45 »
nice going sweet pea

I hope you dont end the night in Gallery in York lol

carl
another member of i forgot my password

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 22:25:30 »
Good luck with it sweet-pea. I hope it goes well for you.  When the time comes I would love to hear how you got on.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal