Author Topic: strawberry plants  (Read 1145 times)

gardening giraffe

• Quarter Acre
  • Don't you just love eating veggies!
strawberry plants
« on: March 13, 2006, 15:25:29 »
Here is a pic of one of my strawberry plants, they look nice and healthy but not sure when they'l fruit, any ideas  ???  ???  ???
Lisa xx

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Re: strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 18:24:13 »
Hi

Have you any ideas on what the variety is called?

mat

gardening giraffe

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 18:25:45 »
Not a clue, they were already on the plot, runners everywhere!! I have put them all in one place to grow so i can net them from the birds and hopefully taste them this year  ;D
Lisa xx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 18:54:35 »
They will only produce crops for about three years, so your best bet might be to take the small runners and start a new bed with them.

gardening giraffe

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 19:55:02 »
thankyou Robert, will get me some new strawberry plants in  ;D
Lisa xx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 21:09:07 »
What you need to do (I've been really remiss at this, and need to re-do my strawberry bed altogether) is to take the small runners and plant a nes bed. Do this every three years or so to maintain your crops.

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 14:33:55 »
I grew mine in the greenhouse last year and had a steady (if smallish) crop from 14 plants all summer long.  They were kept individually in 5" or 7" pots in two of those big grow-bag trays on a trestle table across the back of the greenhouse.  They were bottom-watered in the trays, but feed was direct onto the foliage.

Last weekend I re-potted them into home made compost, and was able to split some of them so that the 14 are now 22.  All of the original 14 were layered from runners the year before (2004).  There weren't any runners on them this time round, maybe they'll shoot this year instead? Don't know what variety they are, but they were tasty.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal