Author Topic: How long do you spend...  (Read 1522 times)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
How long do you spend...
« on: March 14, 2006, 14:02:21 »
How long do you spend down on the lottie?

Size: 10 pole plot.
Working: 5 to 6 days work a week
Winter Routine: every other weekend or so resulting in about 2 hrs a week at this time of year.
Proposed Summer Routine: I plan to pop by on a weekday after work for an hour and up my weekend labour resulting in approx 3-4 hours a week.

I'm curious to guage my levels against you guys and to see if I need to up things if expecting a supermarket-free grocery drawer for most of the year (still a newbie, see). :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: How long do you spend...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 15:00:41 »
In the winter it so depends on the weather.  We have planted garlic and shallots this year but all we have been able to do for the past couple of months is just mainly pop in once a week just to have a look at it.  During the summer last year if the weather was good we did a little bit of work on it every day.

There are the seasonal stages you go through. Preparing your beds, doing your planting, maintenance work like watering and weeding and then harvesting the produce and preparing for next year. It all depends on how you keep on top of this and the old saying is true, "little and often is best".   It also depends on the state of your lottie as apart from a little wild area we are mainly organised with the other beds.  Previous years we have had major work to do and not just the maintenance we have now.  So there are lots of ifs and buts in answering that question. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 15:34:42 »
When I had my lottie ( had to give it because I moved to a different Parish, trying to find a new one...) time was ( and is still) in short supply due to work.  I managed an average of half a day a fortnight, which I suspect is at the bottom end of the scale.  It was a small plot, 10m sq I think.  It always looked a mess, but the veggies grew & although some suffered from competition from weeds, others rivalled the pristine carefully labelled retired lotters elsewhere on the site.

I believe it's not always the amount of time you spend there, but what you give and what you get back.

K
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 15:44:39 »
I try and spend my weekend mornings on the plot, then the rest of the days are allocated to other domestic activities. In the summer I often visit a couple of evenings, and there is watering etc that is often done in the mornings.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 15:50:41 »
I spend atleast an hour there every day but that is because of the chickens.  The weather at the moment means I'm not chipping away at anything outside so after feeding, watering and mucking out the chooks I am clearing out another part of the shed. Unfortunately I spend alot of time day dreaming too  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 16:26:19 »
Size: no idea, but have 2 large plots

Working: 3 mornings a week, then have the usual mum related jobs

Work Routine: Weather permitting December/January - once a fortnight, February - once a week - March until December - as often as I can - at least twice a week from 9am until 3pm, in the height of the growing season some weekend visits and after school visits where the kids help me pick and harvest.

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 16:50:51 »
I've got a 5 rod and a 10 rod plot but some of these areas are down to fruit trees and bushes / flower garden / wild area for the slow worms.  I also help look after our wildlife areas and we've been doing quite a bit of work on these this last Winter, during the Summer the wildlife areas don't need much attention, mostly just mowing the pathways. During the winter months I've been up to the lottie for about two hours each weekday when the weather is ok but its a social thing as well - we have a lovely field shed and we have a 'coffee break' in there for anyone who's around, and that can last up to half an hour!
During the Summer I am up there for at least three hours on weekday mornings - and again we have our community coffee break - in the Summer by the pond on the wildlife area, watching the damselflies and dragonflies.
I have the luxury of being retired now.  When I was working, I only had the 5 rod plot and could only get up there at weekends and during the evenings in the Summer, and rarely went up during the Winter months.
For me, my lottie is my 'countryside' and I sometimes just sit and relax and watch the birds - and when my OH (who's recently retired) comes up with me, he mostly sits and relaxes (but he does cut the paths for me) - and watches the trains (and writes down details of them!), as the railway line to Felixstowe port forms one of the borders of our allotment site.

DaveM

• Not So New ...
    • http://lottie49.blog.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 18:31:48 »
Weekend mornings 4 hours Sat and Sun...In the summeran hour or so every evening.

Not all grafting..alot of chatting and leaning on spades.

Cheers Dave
My Allotment is starting to rule my life.
Ain't life great !

powerspade

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 21:19:02 »
I spend a hour a week in the winter, and every other day for 3 to 5 hours from March to November, Also spent my summers holidays down the lottie-two weeks of heaven

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 21:35:02 »
Try to get down every Saturday and Sunday; it's easier when the days are longer. Down there every day in the school holidays. 2-3 hours a time in winter, rather longer when I can stay in the evening.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal