Author Topic: What a world!  (Read 3009 times)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
What a world!
« on: April 03, 2006, 13:58:23 »
I have just finished a job in a garden I look after for an old lady across the road. I was busy working away when I notice a couple behaving strangely. I worked away as though I had not seen them, and watched as the man went up to the door next to my house, and stole a pint of milk whilst pretending to knock at the door! Once upon a time I would have challenged them, but now the police are so useless that I would most likely end up arrested for assault, as it would have been hard not to end up in a tussle. What has happened to this country it makes me very sad.

Brian

TEL

• Hectare
Re: What a world!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 16:00:38 »
I'm with you there Gardenantics.
Just Friday i got a newer van & by Saturday morning some little runt had run a key along the side but what can you do  ???

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 17:08:19 »
Gardenantics! I agree with you to a point.

My best friend came to visit me a couple of weekends ago and we went to the local pub (as you do!) He was beaten unconscious outside the pub for 'daring' to challenge 2 youths who were p****ng through someone's letterbox. His head was cracked open, he has 2 black eyes and he's been off work now for 2 weeks because he can't function normally  :-[

I live in the inner city of an area that is notorious for violence/drugs/guns etc. Common sense should have dictated that my friend shouldn't have challenged these idiots - but then again - I would have done the same.

In retrospect, he was 'lucky' (sad but true). It's a shame that 'common sense' has had to evolve in this way

And I'm agreeing with you 'to a point' because I don't believe the police are useless. I just think that they're understaffed, underpaid and the priority list of crimes they have to deal with has changed significantly over the last few years.

Soooooo .... Inspector Morse in boxer shorts and baby oil? Any takers???  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 19:04:56 »
When I was younger (erm... about 10 or something) I remember playing out with my mates and after we'd run ourselves ragged and were 'just dying' for a drink we would sometimes sneak up to doorsteps and tealeaf away a bottle of fizz the milkman may have left  :o

PS  Don't tell Rosebud  :-X  I'm not too old for a clump.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 19:15:55 »
It makes me boiling mad.

I think part of the problem is the goverment throw money at people with kids. If people had to actually pay to support their children they they would think twoce before having a brood and take some responsibility for them.

This isn't aimed at parents in general, just what seems to becoming the majority, and it isn't confined to the poorer end of society. I used to be tawny owl of a brownie pack in a fairly affluent village, the parents would dutifully send their little girls off on a Friday night and then not bother to pick them up, leaving us adults to traipse all round the village taking them home, quite often as well the parents had gone out for the night, so leaving young children to fend for themselves for a few hours, or using us as unpaid babysitters.

Most of these parents would collect their family allowance twice a year, just before Christmas and their annual holiday. 

When a government finally has the b*lls to do something about this maybe I'll start voting again.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 19:37:19 »
Sorry to hear about your friend Trixiebelle, up to which point do you agree? Have the two morons responsible been arrested? I have had some poor dealings with the police, who I think you will find are not poorly paid. The phrase, "A Bobbies job" has a long history. Sorry not to enter into it a bit more, but it has bugged me all day, and I'm fed up.
May go looked at the BIG BORDER Garden to cheer myself up.

Brian

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 19:45:44 »
I  hope they were desperate for that milk, or that their kids were, but being a cynic I doubt it sadly.
Some idiot managed to WALK over my car the other night, and has very very kindly has left me boot marks, including dents and  deep scratches up my bonnet, and over the roof and down the back, I was just thankfull he/she/it didn't go through my windscreen. (though that would have been amusing to find, person stuck in car windscreen!)
I just hope one day this person has no money to spare, and someone walks over their car that they have saved hard for and try hard to find the money to run it, and is as upset as I am, that would indeed be great karma!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 19:54:41 »
Does anyone know the safe dose of epsom salts to put in a pint of milk to produce the trots. It would cheer me up to think that the thief made themselves a nice milky coffee, sat down to watch daytime TV, then suddenly The World Falls Out Of Their Bottom.

Brian
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 19:57:49 by Gardenantics »

anneliesje

Re: What a world!vin
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 20:02:55 »
Sorry to intrude, I've never posted on these boards before.

I understand you feel fed up when you see things like this happening. And vandalism cannot be accepted at all! Or theft! Or leaving your kids, or whatever...

But I thought that people who are stealing a pint of milk must be very desparate, or not... ???

Or,... I'm just too naive.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 20:09:11 »
Yep, Too naive,

I've seen these two around for a few months now, they don't work, look twitchy enough to be druggies, and are always F'ing & Blinding in anyones hearing, No respect for themselves or anybody.

Brian

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 20:23:41 »
Does anyone know the safe dose of epsom salts to put in a pint of milk to produce the trots.
who cares?
your milk-put in it how much epsom salts you like! ;D
if you're feeling benevolent you could leave a roll of toilet paper next to the milk...
deeaaaaay 5 in the big border bathroom........
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 20:44:02 »
Been there - had it done - scratches etc - 2 stores in the local village ransacked last week - in the Cotswolds - parental responsibility? - poor parents? - too late to change? - like global warming?

I had to go out some (40) years ago & scruff a couple of thugs who were beating up our eldest - in a Cotswold village.  What's new??

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 21:31:48 »
yellow petals, i reckon we've all had a lift of some pop or milk off someones doorstep, difference is, if we'd have been caught we wouldn't have been abusive, years ago, u'd get a slap on the wrists and you probably wouldn't do it again for fear of a proper bo*****ing from the police (they were feared then!) but kids know get aggressivre cos they know the police dont do anything, there are no consequences for them, we were too scared of the wooden spoon off of our parents to do anything bad or be dis-respectful!

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 21:44:29 »
The only thing I have ever stolen was a penny sweet from a shop many years ago, it was the usual sort of thing that most kids do at some point. when in a gang or as a dare.  However I felt so bad about it, I went back to the shop, paid for the sweet and said sorry. I was 6 at the time and even then I knew right from wrong.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 21:46:28 »
Been there - had it done - scratches etc - 2 stores in the local village ransacked last week - in the Cotswolds - parental responsibility? - poor parents? - too late to change? - like global warming?

I had to go out some (40) years ago & scruff a couple of thugs who were beating up our eldest - in a Cotswold village.  What's new??

What's new Tim, is that these days you would have have had the parents round with baseball bats.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 07:12:03 »
we live in an area where two young teams regularly battle it out.  the police are always about too but seem to be unable to stop the rot.

i had two wing mirrors trashed recently (replacement retail price £180  :o)) and my new/second hand ebay ones £43 arrived yesterday.  Trouble is that on Sunday, two of the wee blighters were hiding from the police, running through back gardens and they had the cheek to run through mine and try and hide behind the shed.  We ran out and politely asked the young lads what they thought they were doing (ok i hurled abuse at them) and they just chased off through more gardens and away.

now they know my car (having trashed it before) and i'm now very worried that as soon as i replace the wing mirrors, retribution will be had.

i despair with the youth of today and i don't just think its a generational thing that we all go through.  this current mob are a bunch of selfish arrogant yobs with no respect for anyone, anything, least of all themselves.

chain gang the lot of them.  make them PAY for their damage.  the sooner the lilly liberal mob start handing out APPROPRIATE punishment the better off we'll all be.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 08:02:43 »
As a youthful emperor, Nero was accused of going round the streets in disguise at night, robbing, and sometimes stabbing, wealthy men on their way home from dinner, and breaking into shops. The accusation comes from Suetonius, who didn't like Nero and isn't exactly unbiased, but it goes to show, there's nothing new under the sun.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07:12 »
What bugs me most about what the police attitude is when they do eventually turn up is that they always suggest ways I should alter my way of doing things instead of finding the criminal and changing their way of behavior. This is an actual exchange between me and a policeman who came after my radio was stolen from the car.
Police
They broke the window to get your radio
Me
Yes its the only thing worth nicking in the car.
Police
I see it's the type of radio you can remove.
Me
Yep.
Police
It's a bit counter productive to leave it in the car then.
Me spitting feathers
Yes, and it's very counter productive to leave thieves on the street.
I walked away at this point, and after a few minutes jotting in his book he came over to give me a crime number. That is just what was said, and he did ruin my view of the police force forever.

Brian
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 17:41:06 by Gardenantics »

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 08:18:03 »
my opinion of the police is not printable.

sure, we should all take reasonable precautions to safeguard ourselves and our property, but don't treat us as if we're the crims if we are unfortunate enough to have suffered some bit of vandalism.

i have had previous "dealings" where two policemen purjured themselves in court but i was told (by the verdict) that i was a liar.  justice system ?  WHAT justice system ?
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 10:04:52 »
Trixiebelle - sorry to hear about your friend.  If he were mine I'd be torn between really  mad at him for getting himself so hurt and being really proud that he had had the spirit to do something in circumstances where most of us (me included) would walk away fuming impotently. 
Hope he mends soon - let us know.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal