Author Topic: Ducks nesting in compost heap!  (Read 1643 times)

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
Ducks nesting in compost heap!
« on: April 12, 2006, 16:16:10 »
Hi all,

I have just got my plot a the local lottie, situated on an island in the middle of the River. 

I was down there at lunch today.  I was throwing some stuff on the compost heap, when I noticed some movement near the back of the pile - a female mallard eyeing me up very carefully from her very tidy nest area.  she was not there last week, but she was not going to be moved, and I did not want to move her. 

According to one of my neighbours its very possible that she is hatching a brood.

I have no problems with this at all, however my animal husbandry skills are lacking.  Do I need to do anything, except give her space, what happens when they hatch and start running off round the lottie?  What about when they need to return to the water, my plot is completely fenced off and I am not there every day?

I'm not sure what answers i am looking for but if this has happened to anyone else, i would love to hear your experiences.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Ducks nesting in compost heap!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 17:32:48 »
Leave her to get on with it, she won't need any assistance. Obviously don't do anything in that area till the brood have hatched and gone. Whereabouts are you?

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:00:20 »
Leave her to get on with it, she won't need any assistance. Obviously don't do anything in that area till the brood have hatched and gone. Whereabouts are you?

Thanks robert,
I did not plan to get involved, however each individual plot is fenced off, so my concern was getting all the ducks out of the plot to open water when the time came.

I'm up in Perth.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:44:24 »
What sort of fence? Ducklings are pretty small, they can probably get through most sorts. If they get stuck, you could lift them over, but I doubt whether it'll happen.

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 12:15:14 »
What sort of fence? Ducklings are pretty small, they can probably get through most sorts. If they get stuck, you could lift them over, but I doubt whether it'll happen.

Chicken wire - fairly small hole, but probably manageable for the ducklings.  I'm not down there every day, but my neighbours are, so will ask them to look out for any problems.
Thanks again!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal