Author Topic: growing leeks in modules  (Read 6601 times)

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
growing leeks in modules
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:14:51 »
Ok, I have got thoroughly confused by the other leek threads on this forum.

I want to grow leeks in modules, but am not sure how many i should plant per module and whether it is better to plant fewer or more and then thin them.

My RHS gardening book suggests planting 4 in a module, then planting the whole thing out in the garden, but they didn't explain it very well and I thought you had to dib a deep hole for them whereas the picture they showed just looked like ordinary transplanting?

Also, can someone confirm this - the idea is to take your pencil like seedling (assuming I get that far) and put it in a hole with its original compost so that only the top couple of inches are above ground, then fill the hole with water?

Sorry to be so confused ...

sl
"I grant indeed that fields and flocks have charms,
For him that gazes or for him that farms."

johnslottie

• Quarter Acre
Re: growing leeks in modules
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:40:11 »
You can plant in a tray, but you don't want them too close together for separating.

When you get ready to plant, dib a hole 6" deep and separate a leek.  Next bits optional, but you can trim the roots and leaves back a bit.  Place leek in the hole, water in well, so the soil washes over the roots a bit.  Next leek  ;)

So regards planting in modules etc, if you have two seedlings growing next to each other, a) they'll be competing and b) it'll be difficult to separate the roots.

John
Let there be sun!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:48:48 »
Last year was my first attempt at growing leeks and I did the whole transplanting thing and watering them in.  Eventually the whole fills with soil.  So I was wondering why it's important to just water them in rather than refill the hole with soil when transplanting to their final growing position.

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 13:50:31 »
Last year I put the seeds in a pot. Waited till they grew up and put them in the hole with the water after. Very simple well so am I.
Marigold

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 13:53:09 »
I dibbed a hole for them, dropped them in, watered them gently, ignored them. They've come up fine, dead easy veg.

Of course it would have been easier had I cleared the bed first. I'd just got a newly rotavated plot and hadn't a clue. Leeks are going strong in a bed that is otherwise entirely couch grass.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 15:42:14 »
Last year was my first attempt at growing leeks and I did the whole transplanting thing and watering them in.  Eventually the whole fills with soil.  So I was wondering why it's important to just water them in rather than refill the hole with soil when transplanting to their final growing position.

1) tried and tested method that works
2) the water pulls fine grains of soil down with it and coats the roots avoiding air pockets at the bottom stopping the roots from getting established.

I'm sure there's a clever 3) but I'm to boggled with spreadsheets to think of it.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 16:16:12 »
...My RHS gardening book suggests planting 4 in a module, then planting the whole thing out in the garden, but they didn't explain it very well and I thought you had to dib a deep hole for them whereas the picture they showed just looked like ordinary transplanting?...

According to my Geoff Hamilton book you can multiple sow leeks too, so maybe that's what they were doing?  You would just plant out the whole clump as you've described, without planting them deeper like you do with single ones. I've not tried it with leeks (though I can feel an experiment coming on now  ;)) but  I have done it with beetroot, radish and onions and they grew okay.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 17:05:45 »
I usually sow several seeds per module and plant out the whole thing, compost and all. They are quite close together but they self blanch (but of course the ones outside are greener). You will get thinner leeks in that method but still as tasty as thick ones.

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 18:20:51 »
Thanks - think I will try some in small modules on their own planted using a dibbed hole (OH was bought very snazzy oak dibber for xmas - so he can do the dibbing  :) ) and some with friends (RHS book suggested 4 per module) planted like normal plants (no offence to the leeks)

will let you know how they turn out (if at all  ;D  )

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 00:18:07 »
One reason for watering the leeks in so as not to push soil between the leaves, so you end up with gritty leeks
Clifford

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 07:54:54 »
I've planted mine in lengths of guttering so I can just slide the whole lot out when they're ready. Doing the same with peas (courtesy of someone on A4A giving me the idea ... I didn't think of it myself  ;D )
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 09:16:19 »
leeks went in last night - 16 in single modules, 48 in 4's in larger modules (we like leeks  ;D )

fingers crossed.

c

FloBen

• Not So New ...
  • We love Cabbages
    • Bluebell Allotments
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 11:37:22 »
We have had two tray-loads sitting in the shed for about 2 weeks.  I was fairly liberal when I sprinkled the seed about - I think I might have a few leeks that are rather too close together - oh well - anything will be better than last year's crop of spring-onion-esque littleuns - they were rather dissapointing, although we did manage to get a nice batch of leek and potato soup out of them.  Hurrah for Leeks!
'We love cabbages'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal