Author Topic: maggots in compost bin  (Read 2015 times)

snoppers

• Not So New ...
maggots in compost bin
« on: April 22, 2006, 07:05:59 »
i ve got maggots in my compost bin!
Is this going to be a problem later on, my misses has been putting all sorts of scraps in there as she not the most garden minded of persons.
Can i just leave them?

amphibian

Re: maggots in compost bin
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:22:58 »
I've got flies in mine at the moment (and therefore maggots), try and get the heat going and they'll get cooked.

I turned mine and chucked a load of nettles in, it's steaming nicely now.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:19:21 »
So long as its veg waste and not meat then you're doing fine. Its probably just that time of year when everything is still a bit wet but the heap hasn't warmed up whth the help of the sun yet.

If the heap is a bit wet and slimey it could be to do with the ratio of 'greens' to 'browns'  which is shorthand for saying the amount of (kitchen waste / veg clippings compared to the amout of paper /cardboard / sawdust). So you can always try adding a a bit more torn up paper or bits of cardboard.

Also, you could give the top layer a thin covering of soil, which will stop the flies getting access to any rotting stuff.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

snoppers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 22:13:50 »
thanks for the replys , there turning to flies now, and the bottom is very slimy i ve chucked loads of cardboard and paper in as well , its one of those garden compost bins so the heat should sort them out then.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal