Author Topic: Training ring culture greenhouse melons up poles - advice please  (Read 4954 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
How do you train melons up poles please? I believe there are 'rules' about pinching out shoots to get fruit, but my books make it sound very complicated. Can someone give me a simple 'how to' please? It's my first melon year :) Thank you!

I've searched on this one but can't find specific advice for poles/string in the threads.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
SS I`ve just posted about cucumbers-you can train melons in a very similar way but they will need much more support.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Thank you stephan, good to have expert advice on my melons ;) :) ;D

cleo

• Hectare
One tries-but I would have to squeeze them gently to ensure they were fully ripe ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
LOL@stephan

cleo

• Hectare
tee hee-but to be serious-there is a `smell` a `feel` to a melon that tells you it`s at perfection.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
When we had a greengrocery shop we always pressed the end of melons with two thumbs, if the melon "gives" then you are OK.
When my late husband grew melons one year he put  nets round the melons when they got to a certain size, the nets were then  tied to the framework . I am having a go at growing them this year.. I have a very Large roll of this netting stuff, comes in handy for all sorts of jobs!!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
What melons are you growing lorna? Can you say more about your framework? :P
I'm giving Ogen, Banana and Ananas a try :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Supersprout. I just typed quite a lengthy reply went to send and it came up site overloaded or some such thing. Will try and make this brief ;D
One side of greenhouse has a frameworks made out of a market stall we had. Winter I put two large shelves on it.. one top one bottom. Other side is similar that husband made out of angle iron. So  all the shelves are used for over wintering my cuttings etc.
Summer.. shelves get removed and toms grown.This year hopefully will also be cucumbers and melons ;D
Will have to look at label in morning to see variety, the seeds were amongst the one I bought from Seedfest.
With the toms and melons and cucumbers I will use canes and there will be plenty of points to secure etc.
SS This is all new to me but will take pics as the g/h is now and then again when shelves are removed and toms etc in place.
I will get there in the end.. I hope!!!!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Supersprout. Melons.  Varieties. Mainstream and Honewdew..green

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Thank you lorna! ;D

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
I've heard of people using tights to help support the melons, I will be trying it out this year (if i get any fruit!)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Hmmmmmmmmmm ... pole-dancing melons! Not covered in my 'Encyclopedia of Plant-Training' by Monty Donut  ;D

But may I suggest a whip and a chair! It works for lions & tigers (and my 3yr old son) so it MAY just work for errant wild melons  ;D

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
I would be so pleased if my melons DID grow wild trixie, lol. Funny how I don't have any worries about growing squash up poles, but somehow melons have this mystique and I'm afraid, very afraid ... :P

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
but somehow melons have this mystique and I'm afraid, very afraid ...

mmmmmmmmmm......i think its because of their exotic nature...the difference between growing squashes(squashi?)and melons is like the difference between a knees up with chas and dave ;D and salomes dance of the seven veils... :-[
you do right to be afraid ss.... :o
its complicated alrighty-the only bit i understand is supporting them with tights-but once you have one melon down each leg walking is very difficult........

kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal