Author Topic: Skip Success!!  (Read 2130 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Skip Success!!
« on: June 07, 2006, 17:22:06 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Managed to swipe a whole load of blue plastic piping out of a skip today! I asked of course, and the guy just looked a bit stunned but said yes! At B&Q prices it looks like about £30 worth!! First time I have been brave enough...RESULT!!!

;D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Skip Success!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 18:09:53 »
well done you! A skip was parked out my back gate last week BEFORE i got my lotty. I'm sure there would have been all sorts of useful stuff in there

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 20:20:05 »
They are wonderfull things, if you see something just ask owners always say yes and you save loads of money.
I now tend to drive slower past them just incase I spot something hee hee.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 20:35:24 »
One of my most recent 'wins' was a wheelbarrow. The occupants had been decorating for selling a house, and had bought two wheelbarrows for tidying the garden,and general building work. When they were finished, they just put them on top of the skip, expecting someone to ask ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 20:41:12 »
life will never be the same now you've found a 'lucky' skip. you'll have your nose in every one you see now. well done.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 22:22:45 »
I have my eye on some blue piping squeezed between some wooden boards at the side of a house in amongst lots of building gobbledygook stuff and nonsense, ::) ;D the house appears empty and every time I walk my dog I just wish I could see someone so that I can try out my scavenging technique. ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 23:26:21 »
well try the next door neighbroughs ask them who to ask?
or tie your dogs lead round the pipe and let him pull it off ha ha.
Never to sure if it belongs to house owner or building contractor or skip people who owns what in a skip.
Did see a program once where they vidioed at night people taking things out of skips made a interesting program and no one said it was pinching.
Recycling is the name of the game your just green.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 09:12:36 »
Brilliant find, Katy!  Skips can be wonderful treasure troves and it is amazing what you can find in them. I never pass any before I have had a good poke around. You are lucky to get some blue plastic piping, so useful.  I wouldn't mind some of that myself as I have got just the right place for it  :)  busy-lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 09:31:34 »
Good for you Katy.When we lost Charlie I shared out his numerous tools and equipment to the male members of the family. Decided to have a skip but got son to come as I didn't really know what was rubbish. Had a knock at the door one evening and a lady said "My husband has pestered me to come, could he please have the chain saw out of your skip?" John said it is 30years old. (Charlie never chucked anything out :)) She came back to thank us, her husband was over the moon.
Lorna

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:14:55 »
Good for you, Katie, and everybody else. ;D  Mind you, my mom is embarrassed to go out anywhere with me as I'm constantly diving into skips! ;)   On Sunday, I rescued a red plastic storage box for my shed out of a skip, and found 4 espresso cups and saucers in mint condition, 2 still with the brown wrapping still on them!  :o  Mindboggling what gets thrown away! ::)

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 14:19:34 »
Phew, there was me thinking I was the only one furtively checking out what others had thrown out, then summoning up the courage to ask for it.

On my way to the lottie the other day, and some workmen were replacing all the wooden sleepers and bridge supports on the railway and offering the wood to anyone who wanted it.  I let the Lottie seccy know, and its all now distributed around the site. 

Not only did I manage to bag plenty of good edging material, but they were throwing away plenty of scaffold meshing in their skip, just as I was looking for some brassica protection.  Managed to get a 210L water butt (in perfect condition) out of the same skip as well .

The work is now finished, but I cannot complain with my booty.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 20:53:55 »
I now tend to drive slower past them just incase I spot something hee hee.

I almost drove through a hedge the other day trying to see what was in one!  :-[
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 09:45:44 »
Raiding skips can certainly become a habit! I can't pass one without having a nosy inside. I even took my 'habit' on holiday with me finding a glass door in a skip (would've made a great cold frame). I was ready to haul it away until my wife pointed out that Virgin Atlantic probably wouldn't let me on the plane with it!
Blue piping and that orange fence stuff adorns my plot - it looks like we're having gas pipes laid. ;D
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 17:50:20 »
It could be worse Pete, you could be from Rossendale!

Went round our site the other day and found a plot where some recycled downspout, with one end turned up and the other sealed had holes drilled on top side at intervals was being used to water a row of beans, owner said he just put hose pipe in the open end and let it get on with it Ingenious!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal