Author Topic: Paw protection cream?  (Read 1825 times)

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
Paw protection cream?
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:00:07 »
Hi,
we have just come back from holiday and our Jack Russell, who loves bouncing around on the beach has sore pads. Has anyone found a protective barrier cream for dog pads that works? We are off to Cornwall in a couple of weeks and I don't want him to have sore paws from the first day!

Thanks,
Jane

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Paw protection cream?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 18:09:56 »
Maybe cream would make the sand stick even more Daisy_Jane, and he'd probably lick it off. Does he have unusually sensitive pads? Does he do much pavement walking? If not perhaps doing a little each day might help harden them up, or maybe hosing  (dirty word) them off as soon as he comes off the beach might help. :) :)
Smile, it confuses people.

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:26:17 »
Thanks Emaggie, we usually walk in the woods at home which is very soft on his paws, so you are probably right we do need to toughen him up a bit! We have started to pound the pavements some more. Dog friendly beaches are usually the most gritty -he loves swimming and  the beach though, so it wouldn't be fair to ban him from the beach alltogether!

We found some wax in the pet shop the other day which you smear onto clean paws and it is supposed to help with scuffing and sea salt etc, we will try it out before going on holiday as I am not convinced that grit will just stick to the wax.

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 14:59:53 »
Our dog got sore paws when our house was a building site!
I found nappy rash cream worked very well, I think it was zinc and Castor oil. I had it to hand at the time. My goodness! baby, toddler, puppy and a house without walls, all seems a long time ago now!

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:13:20 »
Hello, just thought I'd report back on our very wet and windy holiday in Cornwall. We walked the coastal path near Land's End and also played most days on the fantastic beach at Riviere Towans. We put paw protection wax on Archie's paws and washed the salt off every time he went for a swim (thanks for that Emaggie) and he had no problems at all  :) The wax smells and looks suspiciously like beeswax furniture polish, but what the heck it worked a treat  :)

Dog now refusing to go out in the rain when last week we spent most of our time in the wet  ::)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 07:19:40 »
Glad you had a goood time DJ, and Archie's paws stood up (or trod down ;D) ok.
M  :)
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal