Author Topic: melons. how do you get them to set fruit?  (Read 827 times)

GMK

melons. how do you get them to set fruit?
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:21:47 »
hi. firsty hello, this is my first post on here, seems like a great messageboard.

down to my question. i've got 6 melon plants in the greenhouse which i grew from seeds from a bought canteloup. they are growing very well, loads of flowers, mostly male. ive been polinating the female ones by stripping the petels of the male flowers and dabbing the pollen in the females ones. the ovaries do not swell but have been going yellow and dropping off. one hasnt actually but it's not developing either. so how do you get them to set fruit, any tricks? do they have to be growing up canes as they are trailing along the ground at the moment?

cheers andy

Squashmad

• Half Acre
Re: melons. how do you get them to set fruit?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 13:25:45 »
Hi GMK! I will watch this thread with interest as I am growing Melons again this year - grew them once a few years ago, but keen to get advice. The only info I can give you was that I grew them in the polytunnel, and let them trail on the ground and they were fine - plan to do the same this time as I've used all my bamboo canes.  ;)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 13:35:23 »
The only advice I can give here is advice I have been given and that is;  do the 'sexy' bit (pollinating) when the sun is at its highest.

I don't know why ??? but it does work.

GMK

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 14:44:50 »
oh right, cheers. good tip. i'll keep you posted on results of that.

is it correct that the female flowers have pollen producing bits too (stamens?). they look like they are covering over the stigma (think thats what its called) - it certainly looks like it anyway. if i take these bits off and dab pollen on the green bit (stigma) underneith, would that help?

i'll try and take a picture. cheers

The only advice I can give here is advice I have been given and that is;  do the 'sexy' bit (pollinating) when the sun is at its highest.

I don't know why ??? but it does work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal