Author Topic: Sweetcorn being weird  (Read 1547 times)

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
Sweetcorn being weird
« on: July 27, 2006, 18:32:40 »
So far I've had some lovely cobs but I noticed the other day a strange looking cob. To be honest I thought it was a wasps nest being formed within it (not that I saw any wasps) so I threw it as far away as possible (don't worry I've fields around me not neighbours!).

Anyway while picking today I spotted at least 3 more with the same thing so I poked about this time...at first glance it's like someone has sprayed that foam insulation stuff into the cob. looking closely they are the sweetcorn 'bits' that have just gone mad. they are huge (in sweetcorn terms so think small tomato) then it looks as though they wanted the light as they've grown upwards creating swirly points (think swirly icecream now) It's not the full cob, not that I want to eat the rest. Sorry no photo I know it'd make life easier!

I've not grown this variety before Early Northern Sweet, is it the variety or something else? Weird cross pollination with the farmers maize 2 fields away? Will the others go like this?
Thanks

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Sweetcorn being weird
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 21:49:47 »
gosh that sounds very strange. i have never come across anything like that.  hope someone can tell you what it is.

are they planted on an allotment? are other people having same thing? maybe mutant seed?

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 23:27:36 »
So far I've had some lovely cobs but I noticed the other day a strange looking cob. To be honest I thought it was a wasps nest being formed within it (not that I saw any wasps) so I threw it as far away as possible (don't worry I've fields around me not neighbours!).

Anyway while picking today I spotted at least 3 more with the same thing so I poked about this time...at first glance it's like someone has sprayed that foam insulation stuff into the cob. looking closely they are the sweetcorn 'bits' that have just gone mad. they are huge (in sweetcorn terms so think small tomato) then it looks as though they wanted the light as they've grown upwards creating swirly points (think swirly icecream now) It's not the full cob, not that I want to eat the rest. Sorry no photo I know it'd make life easier!

I've not grown this variety before Early Northern Sweet, is it the variety or something else? Weird cross pollination with the farmers maize 2 fields away? Will the others go like this?
Thanks

Cross pollination is not a problem in the current generation.

Could just be a weird mutation, sounds amazing I really want to see a picture.

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 08:47:26 »
Could be SMUT!

Far be it from me to suggest that you look for smut on the internet but a more refined search of 'corn smut' should narrow it down for you.

It's a fungal infection that interestingly produces some genetic mutations in the growing plant that can result in the deformity that you've mentioned. If you leave it you'll most likely get black looking pockets of spores which... if you pop them will leave the soil contaminated for years.

In some quarters the smut is highly regarded for its flavour... and smut infected corn commands a much higher price.

Have a google or post some snaps if you can.

- Adrian

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:07:37 »
Fingers crossed that it isn't Smut...
 ;D

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 14:12:24 »
Oh hell it's Smut.

If you look here you should see a photo of what it looks like...
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/PhotoPages/Sweet%20Corn/CornSmut/CornSmutFS1.htm

Oh lots of swear words! Of course I've opened up these pockets things and seen the black spores inside but I can't say I was careful during my research so I've probably contaminated the soil...
Adrian thanks for the diagnosis at least now I know to get out and get them all now before I have more contamination.

I didn't have it last year but I guess as I live in the middle of the french countryside with maize fields all around I was just lucky and I know to keep a watch for it now. Don't know if I dare ask the local farmers if they have it - they might blame me! They think it's weird enough that we grow it for us and not as an animal crop!

Conker

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 07:59:52 »
If the plant/cob is infected, how should you treat it if you're not going to eat it?  Does it need burning to stop it infecting the soil? Does it infect other plants?

Bob
If you bring it upon yourself, take it on the chin like an adult.

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 08:42:22 »
Let it develop and eat it!

In mexico they call these 'meican truffles'- they are really good, i would love smutty-sweetcorn!

Truffle
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal