Author Topic: Eat your heart out Mrs KP  (Read 1397 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Eat your heart out Mrs KP
« on: August 02, 2006, 21:15:44 »
Damned if I can remember what variety they are but g'daughter and I pulled this lot up today.

They taste as good as they look. She has snacked up half of them already, hence the miserable quantity.

I'm specially pleased cos last year (my first)  they either didn't germinate or were forked and eaten by carrot fly grubs. :( :(

Thanks to Curry for the recipe suggestion: carrot thins and turnip remoulade. Accompanied by a light cider vinegar I suggest? ;D ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Eat your heart out Mrs KP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 21:19:53 »
The cider vinegar sounds a nice touch. Initially I was going to say celeriac remoulade, but realised that it is too early in the year for decent celeriac. Ah well, using today's produce is much more interesting !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 21:26:52 »
My celeriac (first time growing and have never eaten) is looking particularly healthy and bulbs (???) are forming beautifully. Look just like the squash did a few weeks back! ;D ;D ;D But I'm really proud of my carrots and can't wait to see the maincrop - under mesh and weeded only last week. ;) :P

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 21:35:32 »
My carrots are a mere shadow of my crop last year, but my onions have performed well again. Some new crops to enjoy this season, jerusalem artichoke, fennel, salsify, tomatillo and cape gooseberry. A glut of tomatoes too I hope ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 21:48:34 »
Envy envy - had no carrots at all this year, gave up after five attempts! :'( Send em over here if you have any spares anne ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 22:49:28 »
Same here with most of the roots... have about a dozen Parsnips from four rows sown. Does anybody know how to germinate Scorzonera... Salsify is no problem the new allotment weed... well the flowers are so pretty!
 ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 06:29:20 »
extremely impressed ........ they look so straight  ;D

i've been well pleased with my carrots this year (first year), all the protection against the evil fly has worked well and my intensive farming (i.e. far too many seeds in one place) has produced a few lovely specimens but a few more stumpy ones.

note to self ....... when they say "thin to x inches apart" that's what they mean!

got loads more early nantes to come and then the autumn kings.  will be interesting to tast the difference.

my parsnips are doing fine as well.  nice foliage.

i do love seeing people's pics.  cheers grawrc.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

naaman3467

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:34:29 »
I put a few scorzonera seeds in a huge pot at the end of May and there are shoots about 6 inches long now, but I have absolutely no idea if I'll get any root. Time will tell.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:47:56 »
I put another line in the perennial bed not a sign... might as well just throw the packet away each year!
 >:(

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 08:31:25 »
Got mine from Franchi saddad, nearly 100% germination ???

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 08:56:17 »
Can't really complain about the germination rate, since I forgot to plant mine! :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal