Author Topic: Shallots  (Read 968 times)

Conker

• Not So New ...
Shallots
« on: August 05, 2006, 14:16:07 »
We have shallots growing in a 4ft x 4ft raised bed in the garden.  They have all laid down flat over the past couple of weeks.  Do we leave them any longer?  How do we know when they are ready?  Should we take them up and hang them?  We have a small greenhouse full of tomotoes and chillies, but there would be space to hang the shallots.

Thanks

Bob
If you bring it upon yourself, take it on the chin like an adult.

KeithR

• Not So New ...
Re: Shallots
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 15:56:31 »
Hi Conker,

I always lift the crowns to break the roots and then leave them in the ground for a few days. I then take them home and spread them on a frame which is basically a square frame of wood (3ft X 3ft) covered with chicken wire. I have some legs on it which keeps it off the ground and when it is dry I leave it on the lawn. When its is wet I put it under cover. When the stalks rustle they are ready for storing/pickling.

Don't forget to keep some firm ones back for next year. I keep about 30 individual bulbs stored in a cool outhouse in the leg of an old pair of tights. You should never need to buy shallot bulbs again.

If you need help on pickling I am sure there is loads of stuff on the recipes forum

KeithR

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal