Author Topic: Tigerella tomato seed wanted  (Read 3634 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Tigerella tomato seed wanted
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 00:31:02 »
I've been fermenting mine; you get nice clean seed that way. I've been worrying about leaving it too long and harming the seed, but I washed some Clear Pink Early too early today, and the gunge was still round the seeds.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 10:14:10 »
just an update on this thread from last year:

the Mr Stripey (orange/red/yellowish stripes) is a great variety - lots of yield, no disease, and yummy, excellent in salads and cooked down into sauce. will deffo grow again (if i remember to save seeds that is)

the green zebra is weird, in that it is green with a hint of yellow blush when it's ripe. people dont trust it when i serve it up. flavour is ok, but one plant died and the yield is so so. probably wont grow them again though.

my san marzano this year havent done much, of 3 plants only one really went for it (have 7 jars of passata so far though with more to come).

marmande is great! planted in the warmest spot on the plot (against a wall) they love it and are big and juicy, though would mostly use them for sauce too.

yellow sunrise again doing very well, made 4 jars of passata, though it's a little more liquid than from a cooking tomato. still, good for novelty value :) excellent salad tomato though.

and last but not least, gardeneres delight, a sure bet as every year. lots of little toms on huge trusses, sweet like little treats popped straight into my mouth. also makes great roasted passata (roast toms in olive oil in oven, bit of sea salt, then pack into jars while hot, yummy!)

i harvested about 6kg mixed toms yesterday and sent them to hubby's work for him to distribute. i cant face that many toms at the minute (about to give birth) though there is much more to be had in the next few days and weeks. odd weather that it has been, but the toms have done very very well for me this year :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 14:25:00 »
Same you live the other side of London as i'd buy some toms of you as we didn't have any this year due to blight (I think). Good luck on the forthcoming event x.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal