Author Topic: looking for an allotment in Nottingham  (Read 4196 times)

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
looking for an allotment in Nottingham
« on: September 25, 2006, 13:18:34 »
Hello
I'd like to apply for an allotment in Nottingham, preferably half a plot, preferably on the Whitemoor site, but I have a feeling there's a very long waiting list as I've had no response from them and it looks lovely and very well-tended there. Does anyone know any sites in Nottingham that might be a bit less in demand? Or are long waiting lists par for the course here?

Any help very gratefully received. Thanks! :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: looking for an allotment in Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 22:20:04 »
I'm over in Derby but the NDalc should be able to help...
 ???

Salpott

• Not So New ...
  • Looking for the kitten......
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 22:29:58 »
Have you tried calling the city council?  They are responsible for the direct let sites within the city limits.  If you look on their website you can find the contact details under allotments.  There are 50 sites within the city, 30 or so of which are direct let and the rest run by associations.

The St Anns  allotments are the biggest in the city with over 600 plots.  These are run by an association (STAA).  You could also try calling them to see if they have any plots free.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want many more info....

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 00:28:12 »
Hi Electric Landlady. I apologse if you've heard nothing back, we're just comng up to the time when plots are available. Why don't you pop down to Whitemoor on Saturday or Sunday morning to see me in the shop and I'll see what we can do. I also have contact details for all the other sites in Nottingham. We do have a waiting list but there is a possiblity of a half-plot outside of the waiting list.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 17:16:37 »
Fantastic, thankyou so much, I shall definitely pop down at the weekend!

NottsBoy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 13:02:15 »
You're in luck. Whitemoor has three sites of allotments. One massive site behind Collins cash and carry, one site beside the tram station and one site where I have an allotment between Blue Coates school and the park. During the summer if you turn up at 8am ish on a sat or sunday the gate is normally open. The water has now been turned off for the winter (though their is a stream) so not sure if the gates are still open.
I can confirm that their are allotments at the site I am at free and in resonable condition.
To get a site you can either:
Contact Notts council and get the contact details.
Pin a note on the front gates (i,e gate off Western Boulavard) with your contact details etc or
message me your contact details and I can either show you around or pass your details on to the site manager or message you back with the contact details of the site managers (I'm only a plot holder not a organiser manager
person).

Hope that helps

Brendan

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 14:28:13 »
Sneinton Dale have a couple of free plots (and a Community orchard garden to share as well)

If you PM me I'll give you details - mind you, it's a bit far from Whitemoor.

Trix X

P.S. The council are a bit buttock over breast at the moment as they have no official allotment officer.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 23:55:11 »
Too late. We've snapped Electric Lady up already!

NottsBoy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 14:05:48 »
Well done! Another one to the community!
 I popped down to your open day in August and you did seem to be pretty full bar the odd wild plot. Just for your info I think the individual plots at your site are a bigger square meterage then ours, so if you do find people want a half plot or want to downsize (no cuurent waiting list) pass on our contact details to them.
Kind regards
NottsBoy

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 18:19:41 »
Will do. I've just received a map and list of contacts for all the Council sites in Nottingham so that I can refer people elsewhere now that we have a waiting list again.

If you came to our Open Day then you probably visited me. I'm the one with a double sized plot (1200 sq yds) at the far end of the site.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 22:26:39 »
That makes your normal plots 600, a double on our site djb..
 8)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 23:34:30 »
Yep. Whenever anyone comes down wanting a plot I almost try and talk them out of it. First timers often come in for a shock when they find how much work it takes. If they're not put off by my 'pep' talk then they're probably going to be OK.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal