Author Topic: Tulip mistake  (Read 1517 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Tulip mistake
« on: October 09, 2006, 17:32:46 »
As per usual I went rather mad with my spring bulb order and found I had hundreds to plant.  Wondering where on earth I was going to put them all I hit on the idea of layering my pots so that as one thing died down, the next would be coming into flower.  So far so good.  But I've just discovered that in a moment of madness, some of the pots I planted up at the end of September contain Tulips.  Now I know that Tulips shouldn't be planted until November.  Are they going to sprout and then get hit by the frosts do you think?  Is there anything I should do?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Deeds

• Half Acre
Re: Tulip mistake
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 18:40:18 »
As I leave mine in the ground all year round and they are fine I don't see the problem.  I only grow species tiulips though.

I've never understood this 'plant in November' lark - do tulips naturally heave themselves out of the ground and re-plant themselves in November - don't think so ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 20:41:44 »
LOL Deeds, thank you so much for that, I'm feeling better already.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 20:45:34 »
The problem is one of semantics, the difference between 'can' and 'may'
Gardening is the great leveller.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 20:53:37 »
Explain yourself young man.  ;)

G x

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 21:03:07 »
Tulips may be planted as late as November, even December in fact, not they must be planted as late as that.  That they do not begin growing roots until that late in the year is why they may be put in the ground so late.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 21:47:25 »
Oh right, thanks Eric.   :)

G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal