Author Topic: Clipping hens wings  (Read 3675 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Clipping hens wings
« on: December 02, 2006, 18:27:35 »
I've been told my hens have good flight ability. Where on the wing and how do you clip them to stop hens flying?  ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Re: Clipping hens wings
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 18:53:18 »
Think you have been told wrong there is no need to clip the wings of hens they are poor flyers
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 19:15:09 »
They should not fly, but if it makes you feel safer just do one wing clipping the end of the wing feather, enough to hinder flight but not to close to the quick.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 20:22:20 »
We do not clip the flight feathers of ours, since it saves them from the fox. Last time he/she visited we found the hens 60 feet up the Perry pear, safe and sound.
Gardening is the great leveller.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 20:39:05 »
Think you have been told wrong there is no need to clip the wings of hens they are poor flyers

Depends what kind of hens! We once had Bantams. One escaped over the 8ft fence. Next time we saw the hen, it was on the other side of the river. How it flew over the (3 storey!) house and river we never knew... :o :o :o

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 21:41:31 »
Some of my bantams can fly quite well - at the moment 2 of them are roosting on a shelf over 6 foot high - really funny watching them getting ready to fly up there.  Never thought of clipping their wings - I agree it helps them escape foxes or other predators.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 04:37:31 »
My hens dont roam outside of the pen. Hopefully should hinder the fox a little. They are 18-19wks now. Flying quite well, but just short of the 8ft fence. Will have to clip 'em soon. Only other alternative would be tons of netting over the top...... I like the idea of keeping them able to fly from the fox but dont want to lose them as my lottie is next to the road opposite a housing estate. Decisions decisions decisions? ::)  ? ::)  ? ::)  ?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 09:54:46 »
If they are penned like that then it is probably better to cllp the flight feathers. It does not harm the bird as long as you do not go too close to the wing itself.  Feathers are a bit like finger nails, they only have nerves at the very base where they join the wing.
Gardening is the great leveller.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 22:32:46 »
Our pekins seem to be the best flyers!

To clip wings - trim the 1st 10 long feathers on one side only... this unbalances them but will not stop them from flying completely

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:44:28 »
My hens dont roam outside of the pen. Hopefully should hinder the fox a little.

Don't you believe it!
Foxes are extremely clever at getting into hen runs. I used to work on an estate where one of the partners kept chickens. One night a fox got into the run and killed 21 chickens (they do kill for sport). The partner told the employees that they could take their pick of the carcases. I was last to get there, and found all that were left had been dragged in the mud. I got a sack and put the remainder in (about a dozen). Some of the other workers said "What are you going to do with those?", I said "Skin them" (they hadn't thought of that). We were very grateful to that fox.

We had enough chicken that week, roast chicken, chicken stew, chicken sandwiches etc.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:53:16 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 10:03:25 »
http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk/pictures/wingclip.html
try this link.
some of my birds fly WITH their wings clipped!!! they are determined little beggars!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 17:41:02 »
Had a quick look at the site. Seems good to me. Have now saved it in my favourites. Got about 10 sites in an ALLOTMENT file now :)

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 20:38:55 »
I took them up on their offer three or four years ago to work
for them for a couple of weeks with bed and board thrown in...
the things I learnt about chickens was phenominal....and the food was good too!!
Fabulous place and people:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal