Author Topic: RHS website  (Read 869 times)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
RHS website
« on: January 14, 2007, 20:46:06 »
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's in association with Carol Klein's programme and has some short videos of seed sowing techniques.
I got it in an email link from the RHS and I think it's going to be an ongoing thing. I think it will be helpful to new gardeners.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/techniquesSeedingVideo.asp#mulching

I always find it easier when I've seen someone do something rather than just reading about it. At least the camera is pointing at what they're doing! Unfortunately no robins are on it! ;)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
Re: RHS website
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 20:52:37 »
ps. Turn your sound up as there is a commentary.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 20:56:57 »
Ooooh, very cool, thanks for posting the link vee  ;D .  I remember stuff better if i've been shown it too so that will come in very useful for us newbies! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 10:53:54 »
 :D Thanks Vee, that is really useful. Have bookmarked it for future ref. It's so different watching it to just reading it in lottie handbook!!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:00:21 »
Thank you vee, very useful link :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 13:46:01 »
Thanks for that Vee I really enjoyed that!

Its nice to know that I have been doing my seed sowing over the years the RHS way.

I did notice a couple of variation on how they do it and how I do it, but thats gardening!! it wouldn't do if we all did things the same  ;)

1) I don't tamp my compost down with a tamper after filling the tray/pot I just tap the tray a couple of times on the bench and I find this gives all the compaction I need.

2) I don't grow runner beans in cell trays due to past experience. ( I use 3"pots)

To explain why;  they are very fast growers after they germinate as most of you will know and if grown in cell trays they want potting up within 24 hours of germinating or they become cell bound.

The tap root tends to grow through the drainge hole and is often broken off when potting up.

This is not necessarily a disaster but I think it checks the growth.

The reason for me changing was; it was not always practicle for me in my working days to do this task at such short notice, I had to leave them until the weekend when I had the time.  Meaning I often had lots of cell bound beans  :-\

The gardener demonstrating I would guess is full time and could therefore keep on top of this.

This is my way; http://tinyurl.com/yy5xkl

n.b. As I intimated above; These are just my observations and in no way do I want to detract from an excellent presentation.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 14:05:36 »
I haven't got it with me,  but I'm pretty sure Tony Biggs RHS book "Growing Vegetables" recommends 2" - 3" peat pots for runners (if you are not sowing directly) because that's what I did and I would have got it from the book - our 'bible' (hadn't yet joined A4A).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal