Author Topic: Bind weed is such a bind!  (Read 1515 times)

Cam2

Bind weed is such a bind!
« on: January 23, 2007, 21:23:53 »
Can anyone advise me an effective way to eradicate bind weed without the use of pesticides.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: Bind weed is such a bind!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 21:38:26 »
Dig it out! (I bet that's not what you wanted to hear ;D) But if you're on clay like me and the soil is too sticky to dig you could try this:
Last year I grew potatoes using the lazybed method  on a bindweed and couch infested area. No digging, just put a layer of newspaper on the ground, cover with manure in which you plant the spuds, then fold over the turf from the sides. I managed to get a good crop and then dug all the bindweed roots up with the potatoes (much easierthan digging them up in January!). When I forked the area recently there was hardly any bindweed root left.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 21:43:48 »
I agree - digging and a potato crop will do a really good job - good luck with it

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 21:48:51 »
agree - dig it out carefully.  I then burn mine when I have a really hot fire going.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 21:53:53 »
digging and careful digging at that is the only way
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 17:27:28 »
carefully dig, removing everything that is bindweed root or even looks like it might be...

...dry then burn baby burn...

...be wary that some local authorities take a dim view of bindweed being put out in the rubbish (i.e. they don't want it growing on the tip)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 18:22:59 »
and it would be a waste of all the nutrients those roots have stolen from your plot!
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 18:23:19 »
Sling it in a bucket of water for a few weeks. It dies, and can be composted easily.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 09:35:28 »
Digging is the best way but sometimes digging isn't possible - (i.e. when the wretched stuff appears in your garden from under the neighbour's fence  >:() - I used to use a tip I read/heard somewhere:- put some liquid systemic weedkiller in small bottles/jars, part-bury them (for stability), untwizzle bind weed and poke growing tip + as much of stem-thing as poss into weedkiller and just leave it to meet its maker. It worked very well, killing roots an'all, but  a) it wouldn't be popular with organic gardeners and b) I don't think the systemic weedkiller I used (Tumbleweed) is available these days.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:55:34 »
Dig it out! (I bet that's not what you wanted to hear ;D) But if you're on clay like me and the soil is too sticky to dig you could try this:
Last year I grew potatoes using the lazybed method  on a bindweed and couch infested area. No digging, just put a layer of newspaper on the ground, cover with manure in which you plant the spuds, then fold over the turf from the sides. I managed to get a good crop and then dug all the bindweed roots up with the potatoes (much easierthan digging them up in January!). When I forked the area recently there was hardly any bindweed root left.

I don't think I have too big a problem with Buindweed - at least there wasn't much eveidence of it when I took over my plot in October!  I plan to use the lazy bed method of spud growing - like you - does this help with getting rid of the couch then? - or just make it easier to get out?

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 14:02:39 »
I don't think I have too big a problem with Buindweed - at least there wasn't much eveidence of it when I took over my plot in October!  I plan to use the lazy bed method of spud growing - like you - does this help with getting rid of the couch then? - or just make it easier to get out?

Both I reckon. If you only get the odd weak sprout of bindweed making it through the mulch, it's easier to broggle down and pull the whole thing out, and it eventually gives up :) Or like dandelion, harvesting is quite a different mindset to weeding! ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 14:58:33 »
Ensure you dig it and don't rotavate it or you will do more harm than good. Once the first year is past you should of had the majority of it out, then each year you will get a little more out.  You should be on top of it within 2-3 yrs at most.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 17:23:37 »
I plan to use the lazy bed method of spud growing - like you - does this help with getting rid of the couch then? - or just make it easier to get out?

Louise

Yes, it works with couch too. I followed these instructions: http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/tech/lazybed.htm
I added a layer of newspaper underneath the manure. It's another barrier any roots will have to grow through and helps retain moisture. Because of my heavy clay soil, I found folding the 'turf flaps' didn't really work so I just piled the soil from the sides on top of the manure using a spade and tried to pick out as much couch as possible in the process. It doesn't totally eliminate it of course, but once the spuds start growing the couch will weaken. After harvesting the spuds, I dug over the area and removed any remaining weeds; then planted brassicas which grew ENORMOUS (must be the manure!).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 23:42:48 »
What I sometimes do when the bindweed is growing in amongst my plants and I can't dig it out until I harvest the crops, I stick in a bamboo and encourage the bindweed to grow up, which it does happily.  I then have it cornered and can keep it out of the crops and dig it up easily when I can get to it.  I know some people do that and then paint weedkiller onto the leaves with it up the cane, a direct application prevents drifting onto other plants.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 11:08:05 »
Thanks for that link, dandelion- will definitely start some lazy beds on the "unattacked" bits of my plot this year.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 19:06:46 »
Thanks for the advice - i've already put paper and cardboard down - and am awaiting some promised manure to plonk on top!!

All I need now is a some good weather to do the same to the other four beds I am planning to clear this way!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal