Author Topic: Today's game: flower or weed?  (Read 1024 times)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
Today's game: flower or weed?
« on: March 05, 2007, 20:43:45 »
Okay, I have this nice flower bed going but I'm soooo hopeless at this that I don't know whether some of the stuff growing is weed or flower!  :P So thought maybe some of you might know offhand if I posted some piccies... I can guess the obvious ones like daffodils and tulips (at least, I think they're tulips, they're definitely flowers anyway). How about these?

/stupid question of the day. ;)

Tina.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Today's game: flower or weed?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 20:52:20 »
They look like some sort of root vegetable, possibly carrot or horseradish.

Why not dig them up and have a look, I would assume you are going to move them if they aren't weeds.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 20:55:47 »
I'd say coriander or flat leafed parsley...

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 21:05:22 »
dig up the top one, it looks like creeping buttercup to me, if there's loads of thin little roots, lots of them on one plant that's what it is..then again, could be granny's bonnet..you could pot them up and see what happens  ;D

timelady

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 21:16:15 »
Thanks all. Just to clarify - this was completely dug up and only flower bulbs planted. So there shouldn't be any root veg! :) (it hasn't been an allotment for many years previously) The flowers, if they are flowers, are staying where they are. Just a random flower bed. I planted about 7 different kinds of bulbs I got from Gardener's World mag free back in Oct/Nov (plus dafs that someone gave me) but have no idea now what they were to try and check. oops! learned my lesson there. Also just spread them around randomly.

Tina.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 21:22:44 »
Did you have any anemone bulbs?  They look quite like anemone leaves.  I hope someone else can come along and confirm it?  T.

bunjies

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 22:17:06 »
the top photo looks like buttercup to me, the last one looks like avens (geum). or is it all the same plant?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 22:18:48 by bunjies »
'blood sweat and tears really don't matter, just the things that you do in this garden'

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 22:19:09 »
To get down to the nitty gritty of "todays game", the truth of the matter is in fact they are all plants, cant really say which is which, but the definition of a weed is a plant that is growing where it is not wanted.
Typically, if you had a forty foot tree growing in your garden, and you did not want it there, then this would be a weed.
Also, when you freshly turn over ground, and expose the soil, seeds are there just waiting to germinate, with a little light and moisture. Therefore the typical weeds that do grow, are really meant to be there, but we dont want them.
POOR WEEDS!!!! ???
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 22:23:44 »
I feel sorry for Bill & Ben.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 10:09:04 »
 :)

Tulippa, I've come along to confirm it!

I think it's anemone bulbs, mine have been in flower for weeks ;D / shades x
grow your own way

timelady

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 17:34:26 »
Yes, I did have anenome bulbs definitely. So that's something at least. :) I'm not too worried, I just didn't want anything to get out of hand that might strangle the flowers. (above or belong ground) So I might let it all go for a while. I am hoeing it a bit each time and getting re-growing grass out.

I know what you means about weeds just being where you don't want them. When I had a small garden years ago I just let anything grow. I had *lovely* flowering grasses and weeds.  ;D Probably not a hit with the neighbours, heh.

Tian.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 18:33:47 »
The last on elooks like some of the persistent Bramble shoots... not got any soft spines on the stem?
 :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal