Author Topic: "Garden Grabbing" petition  (Read 903 times)

Tulipa

• Hectare
"Garden Grabbing" petition
« on: March 10, 2007, 22:32:42 »
An article in yesterday's Daily Telegraph mentioned a petition orgainsed by Garden Organic to support a campaign to remove a loophole in the law which allows gardens to be classified as "Brownfield sites".  You can read all about it here:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/saveourgardens/index.php

It is no wonder there are so few houses with big gardens these days, they are all being sold to developers. :(

T.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: "Garden Grabbing" petition
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 19:43:41 »
I've signed. A lovely big house near me, with a big mature garden, was knocked down recently and they have now built three houses on the site. One is described as having a "mature garden", by which I guess they mean they've left a couple of trees! And I don't think any of them will have a front garden, just a drive. >:(

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:03:30 »
Done,

OH & I are looking for a smallish house with BIG garden - no chance, the ones that still have their gardens are too pricy as they are being sold with planning permission for a small estate on the garden.

I totally agree with building on brownfield sites - my last house was built on a haulage yard that went bust, but mature gardens are worth preserving.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 11:22:31 »
Our neighbour's house has a lovely sized garden, much larger than any of the surrounding properties as it fills in the space where three streets of terraced houses meet.  There are four mature trees including a large weeping willow and a beautiful silver birch.

Now the new owners have submitted planning to convert the existing property into four flats (well, three flats and a bedsit) and to build a block of six houses in the garden.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 13:51:06 »
Nelson, that is similar to what is happening to us.  It is not something you think about until it happens.  It will be a shame to chop down those lovely trees.

My garden is my haven and now it is going to be totally over-looked.  We hunted for ages for our large garden, there are so few around and to see them being built on is such a shame. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal