Author Topic: Very interesting beans!!  (Read 2303 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Very interesting beans!!
« on: February 12, 2007, 23:25:46 »
Hi, I have some bean seeds,I have tried to identify them for years,no luck. Originally given to me buy a relative in Canada, they originated in Europe, taken to North America before the first war,shared within family. have been all over as far as I can gather . I call them ALL AROUND THE WORLD for just that reason. What I can tell you is this.

They go back in my friends family more than 50 years.
They are climbers.
Pale green, broad and flat pods.
Very sweet tasting.
The seeds are fat oval,  dark caramel coloured with dark brown/black markings.They look a bit like a Borlotto but much more brown in colour.
They grow well even when there are few bees.

We have never found another climbing seed that looks like these.
I brought them home from the US with me from my last harvest .

I have some to share if anyone is interested, but would love any info if anyone knows.

I am new to the site so don't know how to do my address thing.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Very interesting beans!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 23:44:59 »
what do the seeds look like

any photos????

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 23:49:43 »
The heritage seed library at Grow Organics at Coventry (Ryton) would be very interested and would check them against all their known varieties... kill to birds with one stone and let them try to find out for you!
 :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 23:56:10 »
or, if you have a photo, email the folks at www.beansandherbs.co.uk, who know their beans ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 23:56:25 »
 Hi, I have sent them off to places in the past but have never got  a name for them, but I will try the organisation you gave me,thank you.
I could do pictures if someone could explain how, sorry I am not much good on the computer. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 23:59:45 »
Are they anywhere here?
http://www.ranchogordo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RG&Category_Code=DHAHB4
Or here? http://beanbag.net/heirloom.html
8)

From your description Jeannine, my money might be on the Xmas Lima or Good Mother Stallard ::)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 00:05:28 by supersprout »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 00:40:26 »
Hi again, thank you all for the help. the beans mentioned Christmas Lima and Good Mother Stallard are far too dark,but the site was wonderful, I went through everyone.My beans are probably from the cranberry family.eg. Eye of Goat,Wrens Egg and Ojo de Cabra are very similar, but not quite right.I am sure they must be this family though.The site however had no info about growing so I don't know if they are dwarf beans are climbers.and that has always been the problem in the past. However with the new info I got from the site I think I am getting somewhere. I shall kep investigating. Thank you for sharing your help. it is much appreciated XX Jeannine

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 14:01:05 »
Very interesting sites... am I missing something but I didn't see "Trail of Tears" anywhere...
 ???

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 17:16:36 »
I agree its worth contacting the HSL (Heritage Seed Library). They were very helpful to me recently and were able to provide some more info on some bean seeds I got in a seed swap :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 17:21:30 by CityChick »

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 13:16:01 »
Hi Jeannine,

I'd very much like to try some of your Mystery Beans. I'll drop you a note with seeds i've got that might tempt you

Cheers

RT

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 13:39:29 »
You are very welcome,am sending them out Saturday XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 12:17:15 »
Hi to all, I have several lots of my beans  going out to those folks who I have contacted but that will be the lot for this year..enjoyXX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 00:27:31 »
I have put some of my beans in the pass the parcels and am bringing this to the top so folks can read the postings on them.

XX Jeannie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal