Author Topic: Strawberry plants  (Read 826 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Strawberry plants
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:25:48 »
My daughter dug up 60 odd strawberry plants while we were clearing the lottie and we've made a patch for them. The thing is that i don't seem to have given them enough space in between. They were tiny when we dug them up and put about 8in apart. Now they are quite big and some are flowering. Is it too late to whip out every other one and replant? Help!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
Re: Strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:39 »
blimey, they're flowering early!!! I moved a few of mine a few days ago, and they seem to be doing fine. They were quite large, and looking like they're ready to bud soon. As far as I know, strawberries are very resillient and hardy, but I guess it could depend on the type.
Looking from the outside in...

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 13:06:31 »
I'd be inclined to leave them as they are this year.  They'll grow together into a long line, but that's exactly what commercial growers do.  Then over next winter you can reposition them if you want to.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 13:19:15 »
If the flowers catch a frost and get a black centre pinch these out they will never fruit

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:02:23 »
Brill, thanks all. I thought they were bit early too, but someone else here said theirs were flowering too! Ooh, this mild weather, changing everything.  ::)
Thanks all, great advice there. x
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal