Author Topic: Busy Bees  (Read 2013 times)

bombus

• Quarter Acre
Busy Bees
« on: March 17, 2007, 19:58:19 »
Had a walk down to my Bees at 2pm today, they were working like mad and bringing in loads of what looked like Willow Pollen in. By the looks of the weather forecast it will be a different story tomorrow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Busy Bees
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 22:26:14 »
So were mine. I found a willow in full catkin a hundred yards away while I was collecting grass cuttings to mulch some onion sets.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 22:48:17 »
My hive is approx equidistant between flowering willow and flowering oilseed rape. Surprisingly the bees are working the willow much more than the OSR.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:11:26 »
They go for quality, and I'm not sure rape represents that! I find willow is vital; once we have a combination of catkins and mild weather, colonies start expanding. Before then, nothing will persuade them to do so.

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 06:44:20 »
I hope your correct Robert, I've just bought 50 osier (Salix Viminalis)cuttings, they are rooting in a bucket of water in the greenhouse at the moment. I have a small wood and intend planting them in a damp corner, this should provide bags of pollen for coming years.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 17:04:58 »
Oh willow's wonderful stuff, bombus -- your bees will be all over yours next year.
We're lucky here because there are willows in nearby parks and open ground.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 13:28:53 »
Glad to hear all your bees are buzzing. Not given up on wanting them, looking at taking up the course offered by local assoc in 2009. I know it seems a long way off but wanted to be sure as it's a big commitment I have no intention of giving them up once I have them!
Happy hunny stealing!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 18:56:05 »
You could contact them to see if there's anyone who'd be willing to advise a beginner, and get the bees this year.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 20:56:57 »
I know Robert, but with the kids ( 7 & 5 ) college and work and the lottie and other commitments  I don't want to stretch myself too far and not have the time to look after them properly. By the time 2009 comes around the lottie will be sorted out into permanant rotation beds, greenhouse up etc and I will know if I'm going back to work full time etc. I'd love to dive straight into it, but is weakness of mine to do so and I promised myself that i would consider things more fully. Or at least things like this!  ::)
i may even do course in 2008 and then look at 2009 as the Year of the Bee!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 09:57:24 »
I started a six week course last night at Stoneleigh. It was brilliant, and the bee people there were really experienced and helpful. I hadn't realised that farmers were positively wanting help from beekeepers to pollinate stuff like borage. That may be a more realistic option for me than putting a hive on my allotment. Apparently I live in a part of Warks that's famous for it's honey cos of clover. I am sure I can become a helper and learn lots before I take on the responsibility of my own hive. I can't wait to meet some of the little chaps.
Chantenay.

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 19:57:48 »
Just be carefull when you shake hands! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal