Author Topic: Oca and Ullucus  (Read 1608 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Oca and Ullucus
« on: April 04, 2007, 04:09:24 »
Is anyone else growing Oca or Ullucus or has any experience of growing these. I'm trying them for the first time this year and have them growing nicely in pots while I wait for the weather to improve. Finding suitable space for them is going to be a problem as they will occupy the land until November-December.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Oca and Ullucus
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:40:07 »
I was tempted by some Oca too, mine still in the packet though... better get my act together..
 ;D

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:24:57 »
I'm trying them both this year for the first time.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 16:26:02 »
Just googled these, as never heard of them before - Oca in particular looks interesting for us in the sunny south. How did you hear of them? Have you tasted them?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 21:39:11 »
Know of them from my DK Vegetables Bible... not tasted them, need exposure to sunlight to reduce the bitterness... after harvest...
 ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 22:23:14 »
Is oca related to the sweet potato?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 22:36:10 »
No I don't think so give me a minute to look it up...
 ???

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 22:42:20 »
No Sweet Potatoes are from the Convolvulacea... like bindweed but
Oca is from Oxalidaceae...
(Crammed full of Oxalic acid which is in Rhubarb leaves and very toxic... and why Oca need exposing to light before eating...)
Botany was never my strong suit..
 :-X

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 01:09:56 »
I've never grown them or tasted them but there has to be a first time for everything. I was hoping there would be someone here with hands on information, all I know is the discription in the seed catalogue (The Real Seed Co.) plus good ole Google. For the time being mine are staying in pots where they can have better protection from the weather. More than half are now showing several inches of stem and look robust and healthy.

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 07:24:57 »
I've never even heard of them! I'll look them up - might consider growing them next year :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 22:45:30 »

Ullucus on the left. Oca on the right. Nice sturdy plants and they have been left outside unless the temp drops to below 6c.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 21:43:18 »
Growing them for the first time as well this year. Mine are tucked in the end of a raised bed - thanks for the photo Eristic, it will help me to identify them when mine come up. We will all have to compare notes at the end of the year!!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 22:50:45 »
As these are new kids on the block I think it is important for us to monitor progress throughout the season.
I am assuming that everyone here got their stock from Real Seeds so I want to know if anyone managed to get their sticky paws on the white oca? I purchased the pink and red oca and my observation so far is that the pink variety is much faster to get going than the red version. Can anyone else verify this? This could be an important factor for anyone trying to grow them with a shorter season.

Pink oca growing on the plot.

Some of my mixed ullucus have reddish undersides to the leaves. Can any of the botonists in our midst tell me if this is a good indicator that the plant is more suited to a shady situation?

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 23:12:58 »
I bought some white oca. It was planted in a raised bed a couple of weeks ago at the beginning of April and the first few shoots came through yesterday.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal