Author Topic: Carrots, Slugs and Coffee  (Read 2049 times)

Chantenay

• Half Acre
Carrots, Slugs and Coffee
« on: May 21, 2004, 11:51:35 »
Hi All - Last August on "another" notice board, Hugh Jones did a brilliant write-up of his experiments with the above. I printed it out for use this year but I have lost a vital section (the conclusion!!!!) so I do not know whether (a)I am safe to pour coffee mixture over seedlings, whether (b)I should just try to coffee/water the ground around seedlings (hard work) or if (c)I can just get away with watering the ground around each bed. I have pre-coffee'd each bed prior to planting but will soon be due for the next treatment. Also - if Hugh is able to tell me how the treatment stands up to rain. I will be ever so grateful for help on this. Thank you.
Chantenay.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
Re:Carrots, Slugs and Coffee
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 00:20:02 »
Hi Chantenay !

Hugh appears to have gone fishing ...( again ! )  ;D

But while we await his return, maybe this will help ? Happen to have saved it as a reminder !
Hope it helps !  :)

The coffee I used was not intended to kill the slugs - a 2% caffeine solution would have been required for that - but was used as a deterrent at normal drinking strength of 50 gms per 2 gals of water, and was the cheapest I could find (Aldi at 37p per 100 gms)

Without setting out the full details of the tests, the conclusions I finally reached were:-

1. The coffee was an excellent deterrent, and, once treated (thoroughly drenched) the soil remained cleared of slugs for up to 2 months unless there was excessive rain

2. Coffee applied to growing plants, especially young carrot seedlings could cause chlorosis and retard growth in some cases

3. Coffee applied to mature carrots in September did not adversely affect the plants.

4. The most beneficial way to use coffee is to drench the bed some two or three weeks before sowing to clear slugs out, and then to re-apply around the edges of the bed only at intervals throughout the season to maintain a barrier.  I always overwinter my maincropcarrots in the ground, so once they had matured in September they were drenched, and this was repeated in November to keep the crop clean - there were no ill effects on the carrots.

The coffee was also used around (not actually on) Hostas at a radius of about 6inches from the plant stems -once in late spring and again in midsummer. Not one plant was attacked and the plants showed no ill effects.

As to the matter of the pH levels, 50gms of coffee used in this manner will have no more effect than a bucket of garden compost dug in over the same area.
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 14:55:17 »
You are a complete star - thank you for such clear, concise advice. And please pass my thanks on to Hugh - I hope he caught a big one!
Chantenay.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 15:57:52 »
ALL the credit must go to Hugh for his brilliant slug deterrent experiment!! I just copy and save the great hints and tips posted on the board, as my memory often fails me!  ::)   :)

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal