Author Topic: smoking ban  (Read 5416 times)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: smoking ban
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 15:28:28 »
Never mind smokers, I can't stand gum chewers - especially when they insist on talking to you while chewing, or standing right behind your ear and breathing that false 'spearmint' E-number stuff all over you !

Rather have smokers anyday !

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 15:40:52 »
Oh don't get me on that one. Try taking an art class and needing all you concentration while someone is cracking gum every few minutes,I turn into a monster.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 15:50:43 »
We have had the smoking ban in Scotland for sometime now.  Since this came into force in has been an endless task of clearing the butts out of the containers and tubs we have along the High Street.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 16:13:02 »
Judging by the amount of rubbish I clear from under my hedge, people up here wouldn't know a bin if they fell over it Shirley.  It can't be on the curriculum.

Strangely enough, if I'm ever looking to stub out a cigarette, or want to throw some rubbish away, I can always find one.

:-X
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 20:25:41 »
Been in force in Wales for a while now. No fuss no mither people just smoke outside.
I went to the pub the other day and couldn't believe the difference.

I was so fed up with coming home stinking I had stopped going to the pub. Now I can enjoy a pint without choking and stinking. If you think about it, smoking in public is a pretty anti social habit...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 20:42:53 »
Can't disagree with you DadnDom, but at least I pay a hefty tax for the privilege.

I choose to stay at home and stink my own place out.  I think I've only been out socially about 4 occasions since our ban came in.  Some you win, some you lose.  I don't miss going out at all, I avoid paying bar prices, I don't need to listen to drunks, loud or smelly people, get unwittingly involved in any fracas and I don't have to plan my route home.  If I gave up smoking, I'd still stay in, so you could say the ban has done me a favour!

Viva la ban !

;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 22:47:26 »
KP and it's much more comfortable getting drunk in your own home, not very far to fall ;D
My son gave up smoking at age of 45 (2 years ago) which is brilliant but I am amazed with his attitude towards smokers. My poor daughter-in-law, every time she lights up he says "Filthy habit you are polluting my lungs!!" and no one is allowed to smoke in his vehicles.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 01:11:00 »
KP and it's much more comfortable getting drunk in your own home, not very far to fall ;D
My son gave up smoking at age of 45 (2 years ago) which is brilliant but I am amazed with his attitude towards smokers. My poor daughter-in-law, every time she lights up he says "Filthy habit you are polluting my lungs!!" and no one is allowed to smoke in his vehicles.
Ex-smokers always seem to be more offended than people who have never smoked.
Since the ban came in I have only been to the village pub once & then only because I one of my neighbours insisted on buying me a meal to say thanks for helping out in their garden I used to be in the pub daily so my social life has gone downhill fast.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 02:32:22 »
I've been a smoker for 36 years now.

When I'm at work, I do pop outside for a smoke. However, I work on a flexitime system, and I always deduct every second I spend on smoke-breaks from my daily hours, so I know I put in a full day's work. I've never felt comfortable smoking in restaurants where people (smokers or non-smokers) are eating, and I can't stand the smell of stale smoke, so I support the non-smokers' arguments there.

What astonishes me is the number of people who tut-tut at me for smoking - usually with the smell of stale alcohol on their breath, having spent their lunchtime in the pub.  One thing I do know, I'll never cause any harm due to smoke-driving, or mug a pensioner to feed my desire for a quick roll-up, or make people afraid to go into their own town centre of an evening because of me and my gang of smoke-fuelled louts running rampage...

Let's have as strong a campaign against alcohol as we've had against nicotine, then maybe we'll all be better off.  >:(
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 05:49:34 »
I'd wholeheartedly support one Amazin.

I've seen far too much damage caused by alcohol.  It really is one evil drug when in certain people's hands ... (or down their throats).

and yet it appears to be acceptable.  mind you if everyone gives up the fags for their health, the government will have to target a new group of addicts so perhaps the boozers will be next.

8)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 06:55:58 »
lifelong smoker here!...........although im in favour of parts of the ban,i find it offensive that the nanny state once again feel it nessercery to "look after my health"
i know the damage im doing to myself.............and am now aware that i could also damage those around me with my actions.............
what worrys me more is the shortfall in tax that any mass quit would cause?
who will pay that?
i rememember one budget when fags went up 25p a pack..with all the money (supposedly)going to the nhs for the extra costs involved in treating smoke related illnesses?
why then are some hospitals now refusing to treat smokers?
i understand that non smokers should not have to suffer from our addiction...the ban goes someway to easing this situation............but i do feel that in someways my rights are being violated at been told when and where i can smoke!
cant wait till the day that the goverment wake up to the fact that cars and all forms of transport spew out more dangerous things from their exhaust than come from the collective lungs of the uk smokers.......what will happen then?
not a lot i suppose..................cant see em banning driving....................
on july the first..................im going to the allotment......going to light the biggest cigar i can find................and ask the rabbits if they mind!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 07:16:29 »

cant wait till the day that the goverment wake up to the fact that cars and all forms of transport spew out more dangerous things from their exhaust than come from the collective lungs of the uk smokers......

they know that already !   8)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 07:47:32 »
I don't think they are looking after the health of actual smokers so much as non smokers who have to have bad health inflicted on them through no fault of their own. Both my daughter and I suffer from very bad throat infections which are brought on by smokey atmospheres. I can smell  smoke from about 50 yards away. Prior to the cut backs, I could not enjoy a trip to the pub or club as it meant days of paying for it , feeling poorly. My son smokes, he is the only one who does. Never in our house or car or even when we are there but he stinks. His bedroom stinks, he does not even smoke in there, it is just his body and clothes. Do you realise that only smokers smoke dope!!!! My daughter, who I said was allergic to smoke, say that young people never offer her drugs as she is a non smoker, so it sounds to me that non smokers are less likely to go on to smoking drugs, than smokers. Smoking drugs is normally the start of hard drug taking!! Give it a thought!!! About the smell of spearmint, no I don't like it but it does not damage my lungs or hurt my throat, the sound of cracking chewing gum does not damage my ears, smoke caused glue ear by the way!! The smell of lack of personal hygiene might be unpleasant but it is a normal bodily function, whereas, smoking is not.
I would love to take my son around the wards in hospital to see the amputees, people on oxygen and people having chemo. to talk to some of these people who's reason for suffering was down to smoking tobacco.
Oh yes, I know we have all know smokers who have survived and lived to a ripe old age. they are the lucky few. I does give you deep wrinkles, the only benefit I can see is that smokers generally stay slim but at what cost?
There, that is my long rant for the day, now I am going for a f*g!!!! Only joking!!!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 07:56:08 »
Bet you're going for a whisky instead as you've not included alcohol there in your rant.    ;D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 07:57:58 »
Nice cuppa, KP!!!! ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 08:01:48 »
always a winner cacran, especially with a f*g.   ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2007, 10:46:26 »
Cacran, you are very wrong about one thing...only smokers smoke dope.

My job took me into a large crowd of young people not so many years ago, one of which was a relative, they all smoked dope but not one of them smoked tobacco.
I always thought that was weird, the relative explained that the tobacco was full of tar and stuff that the government added, but his home grown was pure,and said quite bluntly he would never smoke real cigarettes as they gave you lung cancer and the marijuana did not. His friends all agreed and said cigarette smokers were risking their health !!!!!!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 19:51:11 »
hi carcan,,,,,,,,,
i too know people who dont usualy smoke fags...............but are more than willing to try a "bob marley special"
i cant understand it................theyve tried to explain to me that its not as harmful...........?
i do realise that for too long the people who are lucky enough not to smoke have had to put up with our smokers habits and bad air.............and agree that if you dont smoke..its pretty discusting to be in a place that smokers are...............i try not to smoke when im with people who dont.................i never smoke in places that people eat in...........i generaly try to keep my filthy habit to myself.....lol
on a recent trip to dundee i was talking to smokers...(as we huddled outside a pub!)and all agreed that their ban was a good thing........although i can see scotish hospitals dealing with more cases of hypothermia pretty quick!
as a smker it was nice to go into the pubs tho........clean and smoke free............and made me realise just how much we do pollute the air in enclosed spaces!
ill carry on smoking...............i know the risks...............just dont like some of the crackpot ideas the goverment are coming out with...........
btw..................all our hospitals round here are now smoke free.........and their grounds.................in this age of compensation chasing.......how long will it be before one of the pajama clad (smoking) patients you see stood on the main road outside the hospital sues for damages............i was even warned last week about smoking in my car........windows closed...in the bloody grounds of the hospital............!!!!!!
the guy nearly needed treatment himself!
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....................im ranting arnt i?
sorry!!!!!

ooppssss!..........wasnt dundee i was in.................twas a lovely place nearby.........forfar.................will be back.............when the weather warms up....lol
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 20:20:17 by marestail murderer »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 20:21:22 »
I don't know about the rest of the country but in Hull it is now against the law to smoke on any establishment  owned by the city. In our school ,staff have to go outside the school gate  to light up and it is against the city law to smoke in your jammies in the hospital grounds .You also cannot smoke on the railway station platform anymore, but don't ask me how they are going to enforec that one XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal