Author Topic: Storing bulbs  (Read 1523 times)

queenfishface

• Not So New ...
Storing bulbs
« on: May 29, 2007, 17:59:21 »
I'm not sure what to do next with my bulbs. I dug them out of my tubs (soil and all) and dumped them into a bucket. The foliage has died now. Should I dry them out? What's the best thing to do with them until I'm ready to plant in autumn?
PS not much space and everything in pots that's why I dug them out.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Storing bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 21:43:29 »
They need to be spread out in trays to dry out thouroughly in the sun. (Ha ha.) Check them over and give them a turn as often as possible and remove all loose debris but do not peel the skins. Once fully dried off, they are best stored in net bags from the greengrocer. Store in cool but dry conditions and do not forget them.

queenfishface

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 22:00:20 »
Cheers!
So they don't have to be in the dark?
I've inherited these. I'm not a fan of bulbs unless they are in the ground with nothing else and can't be dug up accidently. They looked good - briefly!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 22:13:36 »
Darkness is not required but the bulbs will rot if they are stored while damp. Sunshine is the best for drying them as it also bakes the skins to toughen them up.

As an alternative, if you have really nice pots of bulbs consider aquireing a set of summer pots and leave the bulbs in the winter pots. These could be simply tucked away out of sight until the autumn without digging the bulbs up.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 19:53:44 »
If they are daffodils or narcissus I would avoid leaving them in the sun as narcissus fly has been known to lay eggs on bulbs when left in the sun.

I'm not sure what to do next with my bulbs. I dug them out of my tubs (soil and all) and dumped them into a bucket. The foliage has died now. Should I dry them out? What's the best thing to do with them until I'm ready to plant in autumn?
PS not much space and everything in pots that's why I dug them out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal