Author Topic: Container spuds  (Read 2749 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Container spuds
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 11:31:08 »
I don't think we need to worry. The process for a plant to absorb these long hydrocarbon molecules would be rather complex. Thinking out loud (as a not very good Physicist, not a Chemist), the only conceivable place I could picture anything would be on the surface, and this would be as an even distribution through the growing medium. It would be removed by scrubbing if one was worried.

I know there can be risks from heavy metal contaminants and the like, but obviously these are much simpler molecules, the absorption of which is much easier (for me) to visualise. Oh, and they wouldn't generally be used in the manufacture of food containers. I gather arsenic is a poor release agent although lead would probably be good.

It is possible that growing things in, say, dustbins, could expose us to some risk. IIRC there are various coal tar extracts that are a bit horrid (you know the plastic smell that you get on non-food containers sometimes). Personally I would avoid these for growing food, just in case, although I would be surprised if anything was deposited in the tissue of a plant.

That's my 2p spent.

Vegemite

• Quarter Acre
  • Just got my first plot!
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 16:32:54 »
hey, back on the positive i just tipped out one small terracotta pot with a nicola seed potato in it and got enough lovely new potatoes for dinner! yum yum!
Allotment Virgin!
Thirty-something Mum of one just taken on an allotment needing lots of work after a twelve month wait. Let the fun begin!

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 23:10:47 »
pics of our container spuds. Planted later than usual so only just coming through now...

1 - Earlies and Main crops in cheapo Wilko dustbins
2 - Bambino Salad variety in pop  up "bags"

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 20:34:31 »
Those pop-up bags are a really good idea.  Thanks  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 20:50:25 »
we've had really good crops from these, 3 kestrel in the bottom, we got the bags from instores, 2.99..kept topping them up and watering, amazed at the amount we got  ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 09:18:40 »
What a great idea.  Are they porous enough to let any extra water drain out or do you have to treat them like sealed pots and be careul about over watering?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 10:33:43 »
What a great idea.  Are they porous enough to let any extra water drain out or do you have to treat them like sealed pots and be careul about over watering?

well we tested them with the hosepipe beforehand and water did drip out. Mind you I have a little broken up polystyrene in the bottom as drainage too, just in case...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 12:22:28 »
we poked 4 holes in the bottom, they're that strong, it hasn't harmed them at all, the ones we've emptied, we're planting up with dwarf french beans

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 18:45:38 »
well most of ours ahve shot up 2-5 inches in this weel alone, which is nice :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal