Author Topic: garlic harvest help  (Read 811 times)

watkin girl

• Not So New ...
garlic harvest help
« on: July 14, 2007, 20:46:33 »
hi . i have just lifted 8 garlic and now i dont know what to do with them?  do i cut off the root bit and the stalk, or leave it all on until its dries out? im stuck please if anyone can help thank you.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: garlic harvest help
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 22:46:04 »
Are they thick necked or soft? I'd hang up soft necks until all the foilage has dried out completely...
 ???

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 06:29:30 »
Whichever variety you have they must be dried first. The softnecked are supposed to keep better than hard necked but my hard necked kept until june this year just upside down in a jar in the garage. I plait my softnecked ones when they are dry.

See the result on:-

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_garlic.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 06:45:51 »
And a bit more from the grower -

"The garlic will be harvested in July and then dried, cleaned and plaited by our band of garlic cleaners, plaiters and grappers. Quality is excellent this year but we rely on our Island sun to continue the drying and curing process.

The garlic bulb, exposed to sufficient heat, will dry and go into deep senescence, prior to reawaking in late autumn or spring with thoughts of propagating itself and pushing out a green shoot. By drying the bulb thoroughly and causing the minimum of shock to it by leaving the stem entire in a plait, we delay the onset of regrowth as long as possible. Plaits and grappes are the best way to store your garlic."

DON'T dry till crisp but, if plaiting, the stem must be dry throughout.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal