Author Topic: Greenhouse Parsnips  (Read 864 times)

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Greenhouse Parsnips
« on: July 14, 2007, 23:14:07 »
I'm not really sure what came over me in a fit of sowing one day, but I started some parsnips off in a shallow tub in the greenhouse. 

Now with hindsight I remembered that parsnips don't like root disturbance after they've been sown so is there anything I can do with the ones that have germinated or should I just chuck the lot of them?
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Greenhouse Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 23:32:13 »
how shallow?

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 23:32:52 »
um.... 5"....!
SnooziSuzi

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 23:52:37 »
I think that is a little 2 shallow ( although it depends on the variaty ) what you could do is over water the container and slop them into a ready maid hole?

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 23:54:18 »
If you plant them out you`ll almost certainly damage the growing root tip, and instead of a long single root on each plant you will get forked roots with 2 or 3 `prongs` on each.  No good if you want the true parsnip appearance, but they taste just the same, and you`ll probably get almost the same weight of parsnip from each one - it`s just that they`re a bit of a b*gger to peel.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 23:55:37 »
Well, I'd rather have something than nothing so I think I may well try that, rather than lose them altogether :D  thanks both of you
SnooziSuzi

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 08:57:01 »
If you look at the tap root of the carrot on my photograph, you will see how long it is after only a few days.

Why not try teasing out the root of a few to see how long they are, make a hole with a broomhandle of similar, gently squeeze a bit of blue-tak on the end and drop the plant into the hole and fill round with fine soil/peat mixture. THEN WATER!

Nothing ventured nothing gained, remember, the plant WANTS to grow and have babies.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal