Author Topic: bursitis, anyone had it?  (Read 1625 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
bursitis, anyone had it?
« on: July 20, 2007, 16:28:32 »
I developed this on tuesday and would like to know how long it lasts and does it get worse before it gets better
it started off as an egg shaped lump on my elbow with a nasty bruise in the middle
next day, I had blue bruising all over elbow and around it, the doctor gave me a tubifex bandage and ibroprufen (even though i have a 'dicky' stomach and threw up after the first one)
thursday, it had spread around my arm and I looked as if I'd had my elbow in a bowl of blue and purple  dye
today, it's all shades of purple, red and blue, halfway around my arm and halfway down towards my wrist
is this normal ?
any help appreciated  :)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: bursitis, anyone had it?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 16:43:20 »
Try this:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=70

Hope it's of some use to you.   :)

And this one, while we're at it......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursitis
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 17:22:23 »
thanks, robin  ;D
thing is, neither talks about the severe bruising  ???
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 17:28:42 by manicscousers »

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 17:41:15 »
Yikes Maz, that sounds bad. I've never heard of it before now. Ibuprofen make me sick too. It is very common, it's apain coz for swelling it's great.  ::)
Get well soon.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 17:54:29 »
yesterday
and today

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 17:56:30 »
Aw poor you.  :( :( :(  Try arnica for the bruising, as cream or pills.  :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 17:57:48 »
good idea, I've been soaking it with witch hazel, maybe that's what's brought the bruise out  ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 17:59:50 »
Yes it probably did. Love W/H, love the smell. That's all I can think of for the bruising. Did it just come on from nowhere Maz?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 18:13:42 »
the doc thinks it could be to do with the steo, and I cleaned 4 windows  ???..don't think they want me to do anything but sit like a blob !!
i was weeding but only a little bit   :(
he kept tellimg me I had been leaning on something hard, I don't  ???
still, it fits in with the 'don't pull, push, lift and now, lean' mad, ain't it  ;D

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 18:25:48 »
 A few weeks ago I began to feel pain in the right knee and assumed it was an attack of gout - something that happens to me occasionally. So I took the gout tablets I have in the bathroom and the pain and swelling went away.

Then it happened again, same thing, same result.

When it happened again I suddenly realized it was from working in the allotment on my knees - something that I haven't often done but something which I have been doing a lot this year. In fact this was an attack of housemaid's knee or bursitis. But everytime I have had it (and I've stopped getting down onto my knees, even with a knee pad, so the problem has gone too,) I've got rid of it quickly by taking these gout tablets.

Maybe this helps.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 18:40:48 »
yes, I've read you can get 'gouty' bursitis, I don't know whether to go back to the doc's or just see what happens, it doesn't hurt half as much as it did, the swelling has spread out across my arm instead of being just behind the elbow joint  :)

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:29 »
How are you lovie? Any better?  :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 12:40:09 »
Do hope you are feeling better, let us know how things are.
Lorna

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 12:44:25 »
Re Ibuprofen - don't take on it on an empty stomach - take with food. Have had trochantial bursitis - couldn't move hip - but not that sort of swelling. Ibuprofen (very strong version) did the trick. 

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 15:57:22 »
Yes, I've had bursitis - very painful indeed!.........fell while (don't laugh) playing football  ::) some years ago - fell heavily on my right hip and the bursitis 'set in'.........took many months to eventually settle down....was referred to hospital for physio - that didn't help at all!.....eventually went to my osteopath, where gradually, with the correct treatment, things settled but it did take a long time.

Have also had 'housemaid's knee' another form of bursitis - maybe you'd like to read this brief explanation from my medical dictionay

Bursitis (bursal synovitis) inflammation of a *bursa, resulting from injury, infection or rheumatoid *synovitis. It produces pain and tenderness and sometimes restricts movement at a nearby joint; for example, at the shoulder. Treatment of bursitis not due to infection is by rest and corticosteroid injection. (See also Housemaid's Knee)

It doesn't mention any outward show of bruising and your's surprises me!....strikes me more as if you've 'knocked or banged' it without being aware - could that be?

re the leaning on something....how about when you're at the computer....I ask because - I've a laptop and always sit reading everything with my left elbow leaning on my desk (or sometimes the laptop itself) and had developed a really sore, rough, reddened area where I was doing this. Have now made myself a 'cushion' to lean on from big chunk of foam plus rubbing something healing into it.

Also re the Ibuprofen you've been prescribed - your G.P. (knowing you had a 'dicky stomach)  should have given you another medication to take to protect your stomach (just once a day)  And as someone else said - Ibuprofen should only ever be taken with or after food.

Do hope things soon improve

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 16:12:21 »
Hi

I have had it in my shoulder, as i had damaged my rotator cuff (brushing hair). Then i got bone spurs growing out of the damaged bone and it was pushing the shoulder blade apart so i got bursitis due to the damage.

I was lucky i had private health care and had the whole thing fixed after being diagnosed by NHS and getting a refereal.

However in the 6 months it took for me to sort out the surgery ( i hate needles so kept putting it off  and refused the corticosteroid injection) they had to then also repair dammage to the tendons but lucky enough all they had to do was shave some of the bone, reattach tendon and mussel and i was back to work in 4 weeks. I now have another bone spur growing on the other shoulder which aches sometimes but i was lucky my private consultant also takes NHS patients so i got a referal to him and hes confirmed that its stable and i am to see him again in 2-5 years time depending on pain levels.

I also have a small bone spur growing out of my spine where there is some other damage and they have offered to shave this but i can manage at the moment. I know that my bones are crap as my knees are going now so i am going to just continue to manage as i go.

I found that alternative heat then ice helped with the pain but i never got any bruises on my shoulder when it was really bad though.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 15:12:12 »
wow, I hadn't read these, thanks for all your concern,
the swelling's down a bit, I now look as if I have a birthmark all down the back of my arm, I think the witch hazel really helped,
I have the computer on my knee, HP, I don't need to lean, but, I've been having salt baths due to the op I've just had and have been resting my arm on the edge of the bath so don't know if that's it
I've gone off the ibroprufen off the doc and just take one ordinary strength one before bed with some toast, i still feel sickly but don't throw up
I've been holding my arm up, very 'new age' this, rubbing down towards my arm pit, I've been studying about lymph glands and how they drain so, I thought I'd try it
now the swelling has gone a bit, my 'pointy bits' are sore to touch and i have to watch when Ray changes gear in the car ..thanks again, m xx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 15:30:59 »
Gosh Manics that looks awful, I have had a couple of bursy nasties but never ever with the bruising, I do so hope you feel better soon, it really looks miserable for you, and on top of the other too.

Hugs(carefully ) XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 17:31:05 »
Don't know how I missed this. It looks absolutely ghastly and sore. Hope it's going now.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 21:46:23 »
You poor thing Mal, hope it soon goes away. xx
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal