Author Topic: Tigerverde - Green Tomato Question  (Read 799 times)

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Tigerverde - Green Tomato Question
« on: August 02, 2007, 23:53:15 »
I think I am about to make myself look daft .....

I am growing soem Tigerverde, green Toms from a seed swap (can't remember who with though) and they look lovely, nice big fruit etc. but as they will be green when they are ripe how do I know when to pick them ???

I have given them a gentle squeeze and they are still very firm - am I barking up the wrong tree?  Does the colour change at all when they are ready to eat? 

Hopefully somebody can help.

Thanks in advance.

Helen

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Tigerverde - Green Tomato Question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 06:00:46 »
I can only speak for the ones that we have grown - they get a yellowish undertone. And yes, they give a bit like any ripening tomato. But they can quickly become overripe.

Flavour is out of this world!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:03:00 »
I'm having the same trouble with 'Green Grape'! The ripe one I've had was definitely yellowish as Tim says... 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:31:56 »
And check the smell too!

redradish

• Not So New ...
    • Radish Patch blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 21:01:26 »
I was wondering the same question! I have some Green Sausage Tomato plants in the greenhouse - they've been surprisingly productive, lots of lovely stripey, sausage-shaped tomatoes - but because they're green, I don't know how to tell if they're ripe. I also did the 'squeeze' test but they seem very firm, despite being a good size for some weeks now. Trouble is the plants are starting to get brown crinkly leaves, and I'm sure it's the beginning of blight (I lost all my outdoor tomatoes the other week through it), so I'm eager to get some fruit off them before they shrivel and die!

Has anyone tried to grow Green Sausage Tomatoes before? What did they think of them? This is the first time I've tried.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal