Author Topic: cep mushroom identification  (Read 1701 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
cep mushroom identification
« on: September 09, 2007, 01:48:44 »
I was a watching a re-run of 'Heavens Garden' the other week and the bloke who owns the pub/restaurant was talking about some way to tell whether or not a bolitus type mushroom was edible or not and I've forgotten what he said. I think it was something about the colour of the top.

Does anyone know what it was he said?

Is there an easy method?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: cep mushroom identification
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 08:03:03 »
I think it's the colour of the stem. The edible cep has a white stem, and the non-edible one's have yellow or red stems. The most poisonous cep is the devil's boletus, which has an obviously red stem

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 13:53:10 »
The only way to be sure is to get yourself a decent fungus book, and identigy them properly. There's no easy rule.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 17:23:00 »
The only way to be sure is to get yourself a decent fungus book, and identigy them properly. There's no easy rule.

I agree, I have a great book by Roger Phillips. It has lots of beautiful pictures.  :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-Other-Britain-Europe-Original/dp/0330264419

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:40:38 »
yes please don't eat wild mushrooms unless you are sure! here they say that a Cepe must have a yellowish bloom on the top of the cap.
But that is no substitute to a good guide to field mushrooms. Cepes are the most delicious, fried in butter and garlic yum yum yum.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 19:52:30 »
Have you thought about going on a "Fungi foray" organised by one of the Local Authorities, with expert Fungi leaders?
At this time of year, you will find that some are arranged by the Park Rangers. Conntact the Local Council for dates.
In previous years, I have been on forays in Pollock Park, Linn Park, and some others in the Clyde valley. The Forestry Commission also has some in their Forrest Parks, Aberfoil comes to mind.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal