Author Topic: Raspberries, can they be moved?  (Read 1530 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Raspberries, can they be moved?
« on: September 23, 2007, 22:20:46 »
I have 2 raspberry beds and find that it is too much. I want to get rid of one of the beds but seems a shame to waste them. There are a few new allotmenteers on our site and they might want some. Can the plants be dug up and moved?

Garjan

• Acre
Re: Raspberries, can they be moved?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:11:44 »
Hi cacran

In my experience, raspberries are like weeds: they just grow and multiply.
(I'm not complaining), so yes, raspberries can be moved.

Just dig them out with as much of the root as possible attached. Move them and stick them in a deep enough hole with compost and water.
I you do this now, they will probably give fruit next season.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:48:09 »
I moved an established row of rasps from a neighbours plot to my own in January this year. They were a b**gg**r to dig up with enough root. Put them in deep holes with a good straw and muck mulch on top. Didn't expect much for this year but we've had pounds.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:18:14 »
This is excellent news  ;D  We were given two tiny raspberry plants in spring, which we duly planted in a convenient place, at the time, which are now bearing lots of lovely fruit  ;D

We are, however, planning on getting a few more fruit plants/bushes from poundland/lidl/aldi and the like, and creating a bit of a 'patch' on an unused bit of our plot, so it's great to know we can move the rasps to be with their friends  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 13:27:15 »
I was told to dig a trench and fill with manure etc and then transplant my raspberries from home to plot. This will give them a good head start for next year.
Good luck with moving them.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 17:10:29 »
Thanks everyone, doesn't sound like rocket science. Will have to ask around to see if anyone wants some.....

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 15:03:06 »
I moved a row of raspberries that had become infiltrated with weeds, two years ago.They were a bit slow last year but rampant this year. I've also given many plants away, which have grown on well, and accepted presnts from others. Even the ones I heeled in next to a hedge last autumn because friends were not ready for them yet, have grown to an immense height this year and been very productive. They are indestructible (mine are autumn rasps).

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 15:13:00 »
Ours move themselves  ;D They spring up all over the place and we are constantly digging up unwanted plants.
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:48:53 »
Raspberries are very difficult to kill, and we're getting to the right time for moving them. If they've produced a crop, dig them up and move them. The only thing to watch out for is that old clumps may have a virus; mine did, and they barely fruited at all, so I had to get rid of them. That was easier said than done!

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 15:50:04 »
I have 2 raspberry beds and find that it is too much. I want to get rid of one of the beds but seems a shame to waste them. There are a few new allotmenteers on our site and they might want some. Can the plants be dug up and moved?

yes they can be moved we have moved rather inconvienient ones to a more suitable place and they have even fruited, give them lots of goodness first of all and youll get the rewards

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 18:05:17 »
When you move them just be careful not to damage the roots.  It's not a major problem, they will just start sending out loads of suckers, and you will get them coming up all over the place.
I'd rather be flying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal