Author Topic: Toasted Teacakes  (Read 1662 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Toasted Teacakes
« on: October 05, 2007, 00:10:23 »
I would like to be able to make teacakes so that I could toast them like they do in cafes. Although I've googled I still haven't found a recipe that sounds like the real thing -  you know, that are thin, light and crispy and so delicious when spread oozing with butter.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe please?

Tricia

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Toasted Teacakes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 01:06:46 »
You could try these, tricia, they are from the first Dairy Cookbook.  Figure hasn't run to them lately, but I do remember them being rather tasty.  If memory serves me I used to use sultanas rather than currants, and quite a bit more than the 2oz the recipe called for!  Also, I used strong bread flour, rather than just 'plain' flour.

YORKSHIRE TEACAKES

1lb plain flour
1 level teaspoon salt
1oz butter
1oz caster sugar
2oz currants
½oz fresh yeast
½pint lukewarm milk, plus extra for brushing

1.   Sift flour and salt into bowl and rub in butter.  Add sugar and currants, toss lightly together.
2.   Blend yeast with milk.  Add all at once to dry ingredients.  Mix to a firm dough.
3.   Turn out on to a lightly floured board.  Knead for 10 minutes.
4.   Cover and leave to rise until double in size.
5.   Turn out on to a lightly floured board, knead well and divide into six equal sized pieces.  Roll each out into a 6” round.  Transfer to a buttered baking tray.  Brush tops with milk.  Cover and leave to rise until almost doubled in size.
6.   Bake, just above the centre of a fairly hot oven (200C) for 10-15 minutes, or until sound hollow when the undersides are tapped.
7.   Cool on a wire rack, covered with a dry tea towel.
8.   To serve, split open an spread thickly with butter.  The teacakes can also be slpit and toasted before being buttered.

valmarg

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:12:58 »
valmarg that dairy cookbook you have wouldnt by any chance have a donut recipe in it that you roll out and cut then fry in oil, if so could i please please please have the recipe i used to have that book and the donuts are fab but lost it in a divorce move etc they are only ever ok for a treat cos they are just so lush but would love some again thanks

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 22:08:16 »
debster, the following is the recipe for doughnuts in the Dairy Cookbook I took the other recipe from.  It doesn't seem like the one you remember.  The book dates back to c. 1968.

I have six 'Dairy' cookbooks.  Only one of the others gives a recipe for doughnuts, but they are filled with currants and candied peel (a bit like a cross between a doughnut and an Eccles cake).

DOUGHNUTS

½lb plain flour
½level teaspoon caster sugar
½oz fresh yeast
6 tablespoons lukewarm milk
½ level teaspoon salt
½oz butter, melted and cooled
1 standard egg, beaten
4 teaspoons red jam
Deep fat or oil for frying
4 level tablespoons caster sugar mixed with 1 level teaspoon cinnamon

1. Sift 2oz flour into bowl then add sugar and yeast blended with milk.
2. Mix well and leave 20-30 minutes or until frothy.
3. Meanwhile sift remaining flour and salt together and add to yeast mixture with butter and beaten egg.
4. Mix to a fairly soft dough that leaves the sides of bowl clean.
5. Turn out on to floured board and knead 5 minutes (or until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
6. Cover and leave to rise until double in size.
7. Turn out on to floured board.  Knead lightly and divide into 8 equal sized pieces.
8. Shape into balls.  Cover and leave to rise 30 minutes (or until dough feels springy when pressed lightly with floured finger).
9. Press a hole in each ball with finger.  Put in about ½ teaspoon of jam.
10. Pinch up edges of dough so that the jam is completely enclosed.  Deep fry doughnuts in hot fat or oil for 4 minutes.
11. Drain thoroughly on kitchen paper.  Roll in sugar and cinnamon.

12. For luxury touch, split doughnuts halfway down and fill with fresh double cream, whipped.

If this isn't the recipe you remember, let me know, and I'll search my 'library' to see if I can find something that fits!

valmarg

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 22:56:56 »
Thanks valmarg - I'll give it a go at the week-end. I found one other recipe, but it called for lard so I think your recipe using butter will suit me much better!

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal