Author Topic: Garden Claw  (Read 3105 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Garden Claw
« on: December 02, 2007, 18:54:23 »
I had a cheap version of the original Garden Claw given to me. It did the job well but was not robust enough and kept breaking. My OH welded it up a couple of times but it still broke. I want to know if anyone out there uses one of the expensive ones and if they think it will last. I don't mind paying for a good one if it will last for a few years. Where could I get one, too?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Garden Claw
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 20:00:21 »
I got both the full length one and the hand version from B&Q.  I think the full length one was about £40, and well worth every penny. Best tools in the world for me, along with my hand mattock (from the 99p shop)!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 20:34:43 »
sorry, our claw cost 5.00 from a cheap shop, 4 years ago..it's used to twirl grass away from the edges of the beds and during the year as well..never had a problem with it, I also have a small hand one from the pound shop and it's brill  ;D

veggie perin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 22:56:40 »
I bought B&Q's own make only £4.99, actually bought it to dig out fence post holes, done a great job as the clay stuck to it and was easy to lift out, much cheaper than a post spade and it's still working fine...Veggie

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 23:26:06 »
got mine for 50p from recyling bin at local tip :)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 21:43:46 »
Maybe I was a bit rough with mine. The soil I was digging was quite compact though, but that is what I wanted it for. thanks for all your :) replies.

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 22:39:45 »
Sorry, but dont believe that they can be used to cultivate compacted ground, as the ads say, I broke the first one that way, and nearly my wrists too!

For weed removal, and use in dug ground they are great, especially in confined spaces between plants (for as long as your wrists can stand the strain), Only wish there was a version with longer handles.
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 23:57:04 »
I've seen an extending version, but alas couldn't find one with google. Perhaps you'll have better luck, bionear.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 21:48:18 »
Thanks for your replies. I think the original one is the type that extends but just like you, I cannot find any on the web. Strange........ :(

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 15:34:29 »
Would a Twist Cultivator be pretty much the same thing? 

http://www.hardware-ironmongers.com/Moreinfo.asp?PR_REF=2773047

but looks a bit too cheap to be strongly made and not adjustable. I fact I  don't know why I posted this ;)

I should have said "why not e-mail the manufacturers in the States and ask them if they supply anyone in the UK".

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 23:49:27 »
bionear2, I've used mine on compacted soil, but at a much shallower angle than normal - slower I know, but better for the wrists - and the claw!

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 08:59:48 »
Thanks for the link Barnowl. If I cannot get the one I want I will get a cheap one again and hope for the best. I have now emailed the US distributer to see if they ship to uk. Have a good Christmas. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal